Innerleithen- midgy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coldfell 09 Aug 2022

Just trying to gauge if the borders can be bad for midges in August. Will be camping and I really cannot tolerate the wee devils! anyone have first hand experience?

Rick Graham 09 Aug 2022
In reply to coldfell:

Probably 3 in the borders  rather then the often 5 in midge central that is glen etive or torridon , smidge forecast scale.

Best purchase I made this year and a revelation is a chargeable battery lantern / midge zapper. 30 hour  zapping on a single charge, 210 gram weight, probably worth carrying even if backpacking. Once inside a van or tent, slept bite free with no repellent needed.

Edit, just checked the forecast , south Scotland only 1 at the moment despite little wind, might be too hot for the beasties .

Post edited at 19:01
 Run_Ross_Run 09 Aug 2022
In reply to Rick Graham:

Sounds ideal, have you got a link please? 

> Best purchase I made this year and a revelation is a chargeable battery lantern / midge zapper. 30 hour  zapping on a single charge, 210 gram weight, 

Rick Graham 09 Aug 2022
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Sounds ideal, have you got a link please? 

Struggle to link with my phone , sorry.

I googled midge killer.

I bought a (less than £20) vango 180 and a cheaper one . Both work fine .

The 500 volt filaments are usually satisfyingly black in a couple of minutes.

Wainers44 09 Aug 2022
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Struggle to link with my phone , sorry.

> I googled midge killer.

> I bought a (less than £20) vango 180 and a cheaper one . Both work fine .

> The 500 volt filaments are usually satisfyingly black in a couple of minutes.

We got a couple of these too. Really do work well, and tested extensively in Kinlochleven last august!

OP coldfell 10 Aug 2022
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks for the forecast and the midge zapper idea, will definitely look into that!

The Grist 10 Aug 2022
In reply to coldfell:

I was camping at the site in Innerleithen on Friday and Saturday just gone and riding at Golfie and there were no midges. 

No guarantee for the future though. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...