Indoors trainers - do they count?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 31 Jan 2019

Back to an old topic - do indoor miles "count" in the yearly mileage challenge with your mates?

Do you count turbo/swift etc miles? Or are they for training purposes only.

ClimberEd 31 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

Given a lot of testers and triathletes do almost all their training on indoor machines these days, it's almost certainly a yes.

Dave B 31 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

Zwift speeds are unrealistic in my view... Too much powrr to weight not enough air resistance. So no.

Plus having hill realism slider less than 100% means climbing Alpe du Zwift can be too easy... Much easier for most to spin to produce N Watts and than grind it against resistance . Double no.

In reply to Dave B:

hhmm, not sure about that.  45minute unders and overs session on my wattbike is about 25km and is way harder than nearly any of the 25km's I cycle on real roads on a real bike.

daftdazza 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

It definitely counts, more time efficient way to train than out on the road, no dead mileage cruising down hill etc (maybe road cyclist should delete downhills from there distance cycled) and comparable to outdoor TT with distance covered for a particular wattage.  

I follow a lot of top cyclist on Strava, with the likes of John Archibald doing most there training indoors or on the track but still counting it on Strava, so I can't see a problem with it.

Jon Greengrass 31 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

I would only count watt hours on a trainer. Any virtual miles are just that.

To log miles you need to actually to go somewhere, which has the added advantage for triathletes of learning how to stay upright when the bike is not held up for you.

In reply to daftdazza:

On strava I log my indoor miles as a ride on wattbike, and real riding as a ride on my road bike, so it's clearly defined which miles are which if anyone looked at my profile

GrahamD 31 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

Spinning doesnt count in my book.

mrphilipoldham 31 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

I've recently done my first ever run on a treadmill, at the tender age of 32 and actually felt quite guilty about taking 10k off my 1000k year count.. I still might add it back on yet. Feels too much like cheating.

summo 31 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

I'd say yes, but I use my heart monitor control my training and ignore the distance and speed, as they are not so realistic when you don't have wind resistance and no freewheeling down hills. 

Dave B 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> which has the added advantage for triathletes of learning how to stay upright when the bike is not held up for you.

My two artificial teeth concur. Even if only lost them commuting I don't want people claiming miles low risk  

Dave B 31 Jan 2019

Have i ridden up box Hill? Zwift says yes. I say no. I've pretended to do it.

I couldn't do the rapha challenge indoors  

I love zwift, but would never include  miles to boast to friends... Personal training diary is, boast no.. 

In reply to Dave B:

I don't use zwift, all my indoor riding is in erg mode so the only claim I am making is that I cycled x km's on a wattbike. Like I said above, it's clearly defined as wattbike miles in strava so no ambiguity. 

If you asked me how many miles I cycled last year, I would say 4000km of which half was on a wattbike (for example). I don't see an issue with that, and I wouldn't think less of the wattbike miles covered personally...they are all hard earned in my book

Dave B 31 Jan 2019

What length are your socks on the watt bike ?  

Dave B 31 Jan 2019

> If you asked me how many ***miles*** I cycled last year, I would say 4000km

Awkward bugger  

daftdazza 31 Jan 2019

A better meteric is using TSS score, hours riden, or altitude gain, or combination of all three, better indicator for training than pure distance covered alone.  I do alot of training indoors over winter as the weather been grim, I count my indoor mileage, but set myself altitude gain targets and hours riden targets each week and don't care much about distance covered.

webbo 31 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

> Back to an old topic - do indoor miles "count" in the yearly mileage challenge with your mates?

> Do you count turbo/swift etc miles? Or are they for training purposes only.

They count as much as indoor climbing grades do.

Yanis Nayu 31 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

I don’t care, except when people claim them when doing things like the Rapha 500 challenge, while I’m out in the freezing cold on wet, shitty roads. 

I don’t count mileage anyway, I count TSS. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...