Increased lower stack height, thoughts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 17 Sep 2019

I found myself pedal striking a lot on my FS even with correct suspension pressures and slim pedals. The fork is a 140/120 travel adjustable. I needed to replace the lower headset bearing so opted for a new cup as the cost was pretty much the same. I used an external cup rather than internal which adds 12mm to stack height, and removed a spacer to lower the bars.

I don't know if it's just placebo but it feels better to ride, I'm not heavy and I don't ride anything crazy, no jumps or large drops etc. My concern is its putting extra strain on the head tube. What do you think of this?

Thanks 

Rigid Raider 17 Sep 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Nothing to worry about, carry on riding. 

OP The Potato 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Ta for the reply, what do you think would be considered unsafe just out of interest

Also what do you ride usually?

Rigid Raider 17 Sep 2019
In reply to The Potato:

As long as the crown race is fully pressed down on the shoulder of the steerer the rearward stress under braking will be taken by the bearing cup, which is an extremely strong structure. If somehow you managed to get bare unsupported steerer sticking out beneath the head tube (impossible, I know but just an illustration) the bending forces would be being taken by the steerer, which is not what it's for. 

What does it matter what I ride? I built and rode my own hardtail mountain bikes for 31 years and now ride road bikes. 

Take a look at a photo of Jeremy Corbyn's bike if you want to see a ridiculous and dangerous setup.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...