Ideas for a challenge...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pepperpot 08 Jan 2013
Resolved to get out on my mountain bike more this year and run less. Need to save the knees!

So, need a biking challenge to aim for. Not really into events so thinking of full day epic route in the Peak, Lakes or Wales. Anyone know of any classics that would leave me a happy but crumpled mess on the floor?
 sleavesley 08 Jan 2013
In reply to pepperpot: Yes the Clwyds.

More info http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/wales/the-clwyds/

ridetheclwyds is the normal website to access maps but for some reason it can't be accessed at the moment (at least by me).

http://www.ibikeride.com/wales/1603-clwyds-mountain-bike-base

It will take you all day and leave you in a pitful state, crying, shouting at your legs for not working.

Good luck Sir.

Horse 08 Jan 2013
In reply to pepperpot:

Get this book

http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/lake_district_mountainbike_routes_guides.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page and see the Killer Loops, I haven't done it but imagine the High Street one would might be taxing particularly if you finish over the Garburn Pass.

There are some monster long rides in Scotland like the Tour of Ben Nevis and various tours round the Cairngorm.
 Rollo 08 Jan 2013
In reply to pepperpot:

Watching this thread with interest....

Any more SE oriented suggestions?
 Chris the Tall 08 Jan 2013
In reply to pepperpot:
One of the peak guides (possibly Dark Peak by VG) has a "Lord of Loops", though I've not done it (yet). Something like 60 miles. Further north (Hebden Bridge) is the Mary Townley loops, which looks quite interesting.

And even though you say you're not into events, I can recommend the Kielder 100 if want a really big challenge - what appealled to me (apart from the distance) was the fact it was a single loop, so relatively few traffic issues
Rigid Raider 08 Jan 2013
In reply to pepperpot:

Mountain biking is miserable and costly at the moment after all the rain.

Nip to Decathlon and buy a £299.99 Triban 3 road bike and you'll never look back. You'll get fitter too.
In reply to pepperpot: As mentioned above the High Street loop in the Lakes is a belter. Done it three times by slightly differing variations (once from Ullswater and once from Staveley too) and never got it less than 9.5 hours........good mission.
 DANNYdjb 08 Jan 2013
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:
Agree good mission but an absolute bog at the moment, unreal.
dan.

MHutch 09 Jan 2013
In reply to pepperpot:

Don't know how much it takes to turn you into a crumpled mess, but in my neck of the woods, the Pennine Bridleway from Settle to Kirkby Stephen (returning by the Settle-Carlisle train line), including the Settle Loop to start, is over 50 miles and 4,000 ft of ascent, and will be in reasonable nick even now.
 Rollo 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Eric the Red:

ha ha ha ha ha!

in 24hrs!!!??
OP pepperpot 09 Jan 2013
In reply to pepperpot:

The Pennine Loop sounds like a plan. I had considered the Pennine Bridleway, but with a little one arriving in June I'm not going to have time to do anything even remotely looking like a multi-day trip for years!

I'll get myself a couple of the guides mentioned, I suspect there is plenty of classic routes in there that will make me cry!
XXXX 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Rollo:

Sorry, you said you wanted a challenge. Maybe go one way if you're soft?
 Rollo 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Eric the Red:

> Sorry, you said you wanted a challenge. Maybe go one way if you're soft?

Challenge accepted! Well, I at least need to get down to the SDW for a play and then take it from there.... One way would still be pretty good I reckon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...