how wide you ride?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malk 02 May 2018

does anyone ride less than 28mm these days? 

Toby_W 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

23 or 24 on the race bike 26 - 28 on the winter commuter, 1.75 on the tourer and mtb maybe 2.1 don't know about the brompton, think the kidiback tandems are 1.75 as well.

Cheers

Toby

Run_Ross_Run 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

Yes.

summo 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

Got 25s on 23 rims. 

Lord_ash2000 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

25's for me

OP malk 02 May 2018
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Yes.

i forgot to ask why? comfier and less rolling resistance at 28mm?

Post edited at 20:07
 gethin_allen 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

I find 25s to be plenty for normal riding, which is just as well as my better bike won't take anything bigger. I was considering 28s for my commuter bike to deal with luggage and potholes but s that bike's been destroyed recently I'm glad i didn't buy new tyres for it. 

Run_Ross_Run 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

Had 23's on my 1st road bike and 25's on my new one, ride is a lot nicer with no noticeable pitfalls.

Bike feels a little more secure (prob just a head game). Not tried 28's

summo 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

> i forgot to ask why? comfier and less rolling resistance at 28mm?

I ride only to train, not commute, but it is a comprise of sorts. I think 25s on 23s are less air resistant due to less mushrooming, so rolling resistance of a 28 is cancelled out a little. Plus, for 99% of us, these are such small margins it doesn't really matter that much anyway. 

Dave the Rave 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

Two abreast always, never move. 

Stig 02 May 2018
In reply to malk: I was pondering this issue the other day when I noticed one of the high end 2018 Trek Domanes comes with 32s. 

Im still happy with Vittoria corsa 25 on my good bike. I run either Conti 28s or Durano 32 on my winter bike - they appear to be exactly the same width. Incidentally I think Duranos are more puncture resistant on poor surfaces.

TBH I don’t notice any comfort advantage in 28 over 25.

elsewhere 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

28mm on the old commuter - too narrow as occasional pinch flat on potholes

38mm on new commuter - feels less responsive somehow but it is nice, good for the odd kerb, maybe 35mm is sufficient

Post edited at 21:29
 abr1966 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

25's on the road bike.....haven't got clearance for 28's but having spent most of my life on 23 or less it feels very luxurious! 

felt 02 May 2018
In reply to malk:

> does anyone ride less than 28mm these days? 

So that a yes from most people (I'm a 25).

Good you didn't put 'run', mind.

cb294 03 May 2018
In reply to malk:

25 tubeless, makes more difference than the diameter!

CB

mutt 03 May 2018
In reply to cb294:

> 25 tubeless, makes more difference than the diameter!

same here, 22mm on all previous road bikes and its not clear to me why everyone has moved up to 25 .... whats the rationale?

ClimberEd 03 May 2018
In reply to mutt:

No change in rolling resistance (in fact less at lower pressures (i.e. less than 100PSI) and a more comfortable ride.

Chris the Tall 03 May 2018
In reply to malk:

Picked up my new bike on Tuesday, and part of the reason for the upgrade is that I wanted to run wider tyres. Previous one was limited to 25, this one supposedly takes 32, but I'll probably just go for 28 (Continental GPs seem to come up a bit big anyway)

Did demo a semi-skimmed MTB (2.8) over the winter and wasn't convinced  

Chris the Tall 03 May 2018
In reply to mutt:

More comfortable over cobbles, gravel and British roads generally. Certainly faster over those and possibly in general too, with only a slight weight penalty. 

nniff 03 May 2018
In reply to malk:

23 on one - it would be a close fit for anything fatter.  25 on another and 28 on one more.

25 are tubeless and so run at a lower pressure.  23 unquestionably the harder ride, but the bike is as stiff as they come - you could probably cut the seat stays off and it would still be rideable.  Rode some proper cobbles yesterday and nearly dislocated all of my joints

28 generally lower pressure, but intended as a London commuter/winter bike.  25 for preference for me I think

cb294 03 May 2018
In reply to mutt:

>  .... whats the rationale?

Give me convenience or give me death...

CB

Removed User 03 May 2018
In reply to malk:

20 fking 5 and slick as yer like.

LastBoyScout 03 May 2018
In reply to malk:

I've still got 23s on both my road bikes, as I don't think they'll take anything wider.

One is quite old, so no surprise. In hindsight, I suspect the frameset of the second one was in the sale precisely because it wouldn't take anything wider. I might try it with 25mm.

I have 28mm on my hybrid - I honestly can't say they feel much different but it's hardly a direct comparison: better quality 23mm on good/excellent wheels -v- cheapy 28mm on entry level wheels.

Dark-Cloud 03 May 2018
In reply to malk:

assuming you are talking road the yes, 25's, i'm not sure even my 2018 frame would take 28's anyway

Jon Greengrass 03 May 2018
In reply to malk:

skinny 23mm that actually measure  only 20mm on the road bike, but it only ever gets used on the turbo trainer.

Nothing smaller than 2.25" on the MTB

MonkeyPuzzle 03 May 2018
In reply to malk:

30mm tubeless. I'd run 35mm if I could get them in the frame. Traction, confidence and comfort out the wazoo.

felt 03 May 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

>  I'd run 

Aaaarghh!

MonkeyPuzzle 03 May 2018
In reply to felt:

What, pacifically, about that annoys you?

felt 03 May 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Well, doctor, I once had a pet, a cat called Betsy...

Wee Davie 03 May 2018
In reply to malk:

I used to use 23mm Gatorskins on my aluminium Specialized Allez.  The pressures were pretty hard 110 front 120 rear. It was quite harsh but seemed sporty and responsive. Have to say I'm a lot more comfortable running 80 psi on my 28mm steel framed bike. There are some good GCN videos to watch about this topic. Think I remember a time trial comparison of skinny roadie tyres on cobbles vs a mountain bike and the mountain bike being the fastest?

Post edited at 22:09
 GrahamD 04 May 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

That was on Carrefour d’Arbres on Paris Roubaix and it’s no surprise a mountain bike was better ! I think for even ‘normal ‘ cobbles a road bike is better. Tyre pressure versus pinching is a pretty fine trade off on Roubaix cobbles (but my bike will only take 25mm max)

kevin stephens 04 May 2018
In reply to malk: I’ve always used Conti GP 4000 in 23mm. My frame will take up to 25mm. Would the extra 2mm make much difference?

Kimono 04 May 2018
In reply to felt:

it strangely annoys me as well...god knows why?!

Anyway, im on 25's on my road bike, 2.2's on my mob right now but only cos I couldn't get anything smaller at the time for a decent price.

Jimbo C 04 May 2018
In reply to malk:

25mm Conti GP4000s

Far better than 23mm, but I haven't yet tried 28mm. These tyres were good enough for the rougher sections of the C2C route, I think I would have had at least 4 pinch punctures if I'd ridden 23mm (I had no punctures)

Edit - come to think of it, I have never pinch punctured on 25mm

Post edited at 13:45
 tjin 04 May 2018
In reply to malk:

Roadbike and TT bike: 23mm

MTB: 2.1inch

(they are cheaper and i'm cheap)

neuromancer 04 May 2018
In reply to malk:

25c racing, balance of aerodynamics and crr

The only time 28s are better for racing is cobbles or if you bought a £5k 3t frame.

Kimono 04 May 2018
In reply to Jimbo C:

> 25mm Conti GP4000s

> Far better than 23mm, but I haven't yet tried 28mm. These tyres were good enough for the rougher sections of the C2C route, I think I would have had at least 4 pinch punctures if I'd ridden 23mm (I had no punctures)

> Edit - come to think of it, I have never pinch punctured on 25mm

ive never had a snake-bite at all on the road bike....not easy at 110psi no?!

freeheel47 04 May 2018
In reply to Toby_W:

yeay for kiddiback tandems!  I have one now (used to have 2).

Toby_W 04 May 2018
In reply to freeheel47: about to get a second, 225, bargain.

cheers

toby

Jimbo C 23 May 2018
In reply to Kimono:

> ive never had a snake-bite at all on the road bike....not easy at 110psi no?!

Easy to do with the condition of the roads in Sheffield (although it's improved a lot in the last couple of years)

In reply to malk:

23 front and rear.

Rigid Raider 30 May 2018
In reply to malk:

23mm Veloflex Open Corsas on the endurance bike and as they ride so smoothly even at 95/100 that I'm quite happy with them. In practice thay are actually 25mm wide.

23mm Rubino Pro Speeds on the hooligan bike, with latex inners, pumped to 100/110 and I find them comfortable enough. Rolling resistance tests have rated these tyres very well indeed if they are pumped up hard and I certainly seem always to be the first to the bottoms of the hills, though certainly not the tops.

That said, last Monday the first couple of miles down from Kirkstone Pass towards Bowness nearly killed me, so rough is the road with badly eroded top-dressing. At one point my hands were aching from gripping the bars. 

Fredt 02 Jul 2018
In reply to malk:

23s.

dovebiker 02 Jul 2018

When I started riding in the early 80s, 'fast' was 18-20mm run rock hard and punctures were a regular chore. I started running 25mm tyres on the road about 20 years ago with Michelin Axials . I've ridden and race in northern France / Flanders, which was another reason for switching to bigger tyres at lower pressures. My big tyre trend has continued unabated and now included a 5"-tyred fatbike which has been to the arctic 3 times and is great in summer as my local trails which are very sandy in summer.  For general road riding I'd go for 30mm tubeless, for gravel I've gone 40mm tubeless and 45mm on my SSCX helps on the scrabbly stuff being over-geared. My 'normal' MTB is 29+. I don't understand folks who buy full-suss MTBs and ride around with tyres inflated at 40psi - completely pointless

wilkie14c 03 Jul 2018
In reply to malk:

28 gatorskins on winter hack, good on wet roads and towpaths.

25 tubeless on road bike, they have been a revelation and can’t see myself ever going back to tubes on these wheels. run at 85/80 psi with no fear of pinch flats and the roads feel so smooth at these lower pressures. They are Hutchinson fusion 5 performance on Archetype rims

andy 03 Jul 2018
In reply to malk:

25mm tubeless on best bike, 28mm tubeless on my two disc braked winter/crap road bikes (result of working away from home and riding on shit roads in Warwickshire).

28mm seem to be plenty fast enough and great on the horrid roads down here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...