/ homemade brake-shoes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
la xerra - on 06 Mar 2019

hi there, did anybody here ever make his/her own brake-shoes (or does have any insights on it)¿.... looking at fabricating some pads suitable for shimano, sram & tektro systems, 55mm.... gracias, pit

Rigid Raider - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

Have you any idea of the value of your own time and the value of what you could be doing while messing around trying to develop a suitable process then manufacturing the things? This has to be one instance where buying ready-made with the guarantees that go with that, is worthwhile. All that R&D and manufacturing time is amortized in hundreds of thousands of brake pads sold. 

GrahamD - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

Loving your work.

For what its worth I believe that back in the day they used wine corks.  I don't think they really worked very well.

Lusk - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

Also loving your work

We tried to make our own rock boots once using old tyres.

They were shit.

richlan - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

You sir, are a buffoon.

kipper12 - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I thought at first you were on about car parts!

I tried to make a radio telescope out of a dustbin lid, some wires and assorted batteries.  Never did hear from ET!

cb294 - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

You can carve vegan brake pads from a carrot.

cb294 - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

I once fixed a brake pad for a 1930s bike (one where the brake pad is pushed done vertically onto the tire) using a bit of reinforced rubber I cut from an equally old transmission belt that once drove a circular saw, but I do not think that is what the OP is after....

CB

In reply to la xerra:

There are videos on Youtube on how to make brake pads; you need a very hot oven.

Mooncat - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

When I'm hitting 55mph coming down Mont Ventoux, I'd prefer to rely on Shimano's years of experience and development to slow me. Good luck though.

krikoman - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

8/10

Nice one.

In reply to la xerra:

In a similar vein I had friends whose Morris Oxford blew a big end bearing in France. Being impoverished climbers they though they'd try a bodge that one of them had read about in a book of wartime exploits; namely removing the sump tray, removing the bearing cap and replacing the bearing shell with a piece of webbing off an Army rucsac, well soaked in oil, the idea being that the webbing becomes a kind of sintered surface and survives for long enough to get you across the Channel. After a day lying under the car covered in filthy oil they bolted everything back together, started it up and.... it lasted about thirty seconds. 

DubyaJamesDubya - on 06 Mar 2019

> Have you any idea of the value of your own time and the value of what you could be doing while messing around trying to develop a suitable process then manufacturing the things? This has to be one instance where buying ready-made with the guarantees that go with that, is worthwhile. All that R&D and manufacturing time is amortized in hundreds of thousands of brake pads sold. 

Of course there are manufacturers of cheaper substitutes already out there but I doubt there starting point in the process of competing for Shimano's business was posting a request for info on a climbing forum!

Ghastly Rubberfeet on 06 Mar 2019
robert-hutton on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

I would not like to experience my nagging doubt in coming down a big hill with the thought of WILL they stop me or WILL they disintegrate.

£30 spent to stop this experience is £30 well spent.

Post edited at 15:32
spartacus on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

I was unfortunate enough to be forced into Burger King by my children the other day. Have you considered using their burger buns?

Post edited at 16:01
Ghastly Rubberfeet on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to robert-hutton:

> I would not like to experience my nagging doubt in coming down a big hill with the thought of WILL they stop me or WILL they disintegrate.

> £30 spent to stop this experience is £30 well spent.

I agree  with you.
I suspect you meant to reply to the OP
;~)

gravy - on 06 Mar 2019

disko brakes - lots of choice - the gold coloured ones seem to work really well and last yonks - could never be bothered to do this myself in much the same way I couldn't be bother to dig my bauxite, smelt my own aluminium and forge my own frame.

wilkie14c - on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

don’t know about brake shoes but you can use your banjo string for an emergency cable if you suffer a breakage

LastBoyScout on 06 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

I'm going to stick with outsourcing my brake pad manufacture to EBC, Shimano and Swiss Stop.

You know, the ones that have been designed and rigorously tested by reputable manufacturers

la xerra - on 07 Mar 2019

GrahamD: For what its worth I believe that back in the day they used wine corks.

la xerra: actually, the new artificial cork-stuff they use might be better material ... but one of the first materials that came to my mind was cutting up the tread of old car tyres. thanks.

DaveHK - on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

I'm looking forward to your thread on homemade rope although I suspect we won't hear how it went first hand.

DubyaJamesDubya - on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to robert-hutton:

> I would not like to experience my nagging doubt in coming down a big hill with the thought of WILL they stop me or WILL they disintegrate.

> £30 spent to stop this experience is £30 well spent.

Or if you enter "shimano, sram & tektro systems, 55mm" into Google you will see that you can buy professionally made pads for £3.25 a pair

Enty - on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

Not a totally stupid question. I use these and they're 60€ a set:

https://www.tritoncycles.fr/images/bontrager-carbon-stop-cork-brake-pads-shimano-2-slot-p157-245_image.jpg

I've no idea what the cork compound is but I reckon they wouldn't be too hard to make if you had the right tools and you could acquire a chunk of it.

E

JLS on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

Just get a fixie and save £££ on brake pads.

Rigid Raider - on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Enty:

The cork is designed to be softer than the carbon rims, so as not to wear them down. Effectively you are braking on resin with some carbon fibres trapped in it.

Here's a video that explains how all the ingredients are baked together to make the friction pad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ete644akrs

Enty - on 07 Mar 2019

Not sure how those pads would work on my Enve's ;-)

E

Tricky Dicky - on 07 Mar 2019
Andy Johnson on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to the thread:

I'm thinking of making my own Karabiners. Can anyone advise me on how to do this? I already have a screwdriver and a hammer, so am almost done really and just need info on finishing the job.

d_b on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

I believe it is a 2 stage process:

1. Hold pointy end of screwdriver against head.

2. Hit other end with hammer.

And you are done.

Dave B on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to JLS:

And spend  more on chains. Got caught by that one...  

Dave B on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

Vans work well as brake shoes Apparently.

The sole wears too quick on vivo barefoot.

spartacus on 07 Mar 2019

> I'm thinking of making my own Karabiners. Can anyone advise me on how to do this? 

Great minds think alike! I have had several goes at making a belay device. The biggest problem is getting the timber smooth enough.

d_b on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to spartacus:

The rope will wear it smooth.

nniff - on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

Read Tim Moore's book about riding the Giro d'Italia route on a period bicycle, with wooden rims.  He got to know the finer point of making brakes.

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02889/tim-moore-brakes_2889527c.jpg

Post edited at 15:51
nufkin - on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Dave B:

>  The sole wears too quick on vivo barefoot.

I have fond memories of the trend for wedging a foot between the tyre and the top of the seat stays to brake our BMXs when I were a lad. That definitely wore the soles on my school shoes

cb294 - on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to nufkin:

Good to practise this skill, though. Saved me form crashing badly when my brakes failed.

CB

Dave B on 07 Mar 2019
In reply to cb294:

Bugger to do with mudguards fitted! 

la xerra - on 08 Mar 2019

Rigid Raider: Have you any idea of the value of your own time and the value of what you could be doing while messing around....

la xerra: i know folks who spend hours on stair-masters and thousands on gym-memberhips, yet in the building in which they live (die) they dont take any two flights of stairs

d_b on 08 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

That is because gym membership is usually renewed out of a sense of guilt and the fees are the penance for not going.

For most people gym membership is all about sloth, not exercise.

Post edited at 10:46
LastBoyScout on 08 Mar 2019

I remember watching a program a few years ago about restoring a particular classic car. Couldn't get any brake pads off the shelf, so he rocked up to Ferrodo's factory and the chap there had a series of bins of friction compound components and a scoop, mixed something up to spec in a bucket and baked it onto the old shoes for him. I'm pretty sure there was more to it than was shown on camera, though.

richlan - on 08 Mar 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

>  I'm pretty sure there was more to it than was shown on camera, though.

Heat and a lot of pressure i would suspect !

gethin_allen on 08 Mar 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

There was a Ferodo factory near Cardiff that would re-line your brakes and clutches. Not sure I'd bother considering how cheap parts like this are really these days, and I'm certain I wouldn't try to do it myself at home.

la xerra - on 10 Mar 2019

robert-hutton: I would not like to experience my nagging doubt in coming down a big hill...

la xerra: (nagging) doubt is at the very core what makes us human/s. take it away (strip it down to the utmost calculated minimum) and we talk us being toast(ers  = machines)

Dax H - on 10 Mar 2019

> I'm thinking of making my own Karabiners. Can anyone advise me on how to do this? I already have a screwdriver and a hammer, so am almost done really and just need info on finishing the job.

Easy, come and play in my forge. Makinh a locking crab using a mix of traditional Smithing skills and some modern tools wouldn't be that hard. It would probably be stronger that shop bought too but would certainly weigh a lot more. 

Dax H - on 10 Mar 2019

> Have you any idea of the value of your own time and the value of what you could be doing while messing around trying to develop a suitable process then manufacturing the things?

The value of your own time is a very subjective thing. I recently set myself up with a basic blacksmiths forge, so far other than practice keyrings I have made some tools and some coat hooks and a gate hook. All of these things I could have bought from the B&q for less that the cost of the steel I used let alone the coke burned and my time but there is a satisfaction in making things. 

bouldery bits - on 10 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

Get some old walking boots (they are best if they're Scarpa SL's, but anything will do). When you want to stop, simply drag the soles of your feet along the floor. These shoes will then help you brake. 

la xerra - on 13 Mar 2019

JLS:  Just get a fixie and save £££ on brake pads.

la xerra: good point, thanks. when i used to live in nyc i rode one for a while.... but now i live in a tiny hamlet in the mountains in spain (no car, & i do all the shopping etc on bike.... going through a sh*tload of brake-shoes).

la xerra - on 18 Mar 2019

Tricky Dicky: this bloke has done it...

la xerra:  interesting, thanks...  one of these day when i am not busy killing time with other sh*t i´ll cut out a piece of tread from a tyre and ´carve´ it with a dremel.

la xerra - on 22 Mar 2019

andy johnson:  I'm thinking of making my own Karabiners ... I already have a screwdriver and a hammer, so am almost done really and just need info on finishing the job.

dax h: Easy, come and play in my forge. Makinh a locking crab using a mix of traditional Smithing skills and some modern tools wouldn't be that hard. It would probably be stronger that shop bought too but would certainly weigh a lot more. 

la xerra: hey dax h,  i like your approach... keep stoking the fire

ps:

there reigns a certain arrogance and contempt in ´our´ culture, here in this forum as well among some, for ´poor´ and ´inferior´ gear (and/or techniques) that are (not) mind-blowing. i dont have time this a.m. to flesh/flush that out, but, for instance: people from poor places, respectively poor folks in ´rich´ cultures cant (=shouldnt) climb - because their gear/approach and thus saftey-´standards´ suck¿¿   ...  first came sport-climbing, now we got shop-climbing, on top of that (it is folks who join the church of: good shopping = good climbing, or the other way around)... in general: a modern fixation with supreme gear etc, and thus: in the money/god we trust, is bordering insanity.... besides:  (guess its fair to say that ´civilized´ life as we know it won´t go on like that much longer),  aaah aaand when the sh*t hits the fan, or, if you prefer, the fan hits the sh*ts, all those swanky and flashy shop-climbers (who, figuratively speaking - or not -,  dont even know how to drive a nail in a wall)  will be the very first to crash and be flushed down the toilet of history.

happy shop-climbing!

DubyaJamesDubya - on 22 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

>  JLS:  Just get a fixie and save £££ on brake pads.

> la xerra: good point, thanks. when i used to live in nyc i rode one for a while.... but now i live in a tiny hamlet in the mountains in spain (no car, & i do all the shopping etc on bike.... going through a sh*tload of brake-shoes).

Disc brakes an option?

nufkin - on 22 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

>  a modern fixation with supreme gear etc, and thus: in the money/god we trust, is bordering insanity

There's nothing wrong with being self-sufficient, or trying to make your own stuff, but often it's more an exercise of curiosity than necessity; most things you might need are made better and/or more cheaply already. If you don't mind investing the time and effort then why not, but generally the reason climbing gear - for example - is the way it now is is because other people have already invested their time and effort, usually beyond what the layperson could manage. If your skills lie in one area, there's nothing wrong with focusing your attention there to be able to transfer some of the medium through which society measures those skills to someone else whose skills lie in another

ThunderCat - on 22 Mar 2019
In reply to la xerra:

I once built a car entirely out of spaghetti.  My wife said I was a fool and it would never work.

You should have seen her face when I drove pasta

la xerra - on 02 Apr 2019

DubyaJamesDubya:... buy professionally made pads for £3.25 a pair...

la xerra: speaking about the money god/s: friend just told me he buys whole brake-shoes sets (bases & spares) from china for less than the cheapest spares only... and then throws out the bases .... gotta love/hate capitalism... tick-tick-tick

krikoman - on 03 Apr 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I once built a car entirely out of spaghetti.  My wife said I was a fool and it would never work.

> You should have seen her face when I drove pasta

You're obviously from the school of hard gnocchis

ThunderCat - on 03 Apr 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> You're obviously from the school of hard gnocchis

If I had a penne for every time I've heard that... 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.