Help with understanding Shimano stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I need to replace the front derailleur on my mtb but I’m a bit lost in identifying a compatible part. It’s 3x9 and the current derailleur is top-swing, top-pull, clamp-mount. The chainset is 22-32-44 (I have a spare 42 chainring if 44 is problematic, I don’t know). The derailleur is marked “Deore” and “Mega Drive Train” but I can’t see any numbers. 32mm seat tube.

I can’t find anything identical to that online, especially something that’s in stock.

Does it have to be Deore or will anything Shimano do? Does it have to be for 3x9 or will 3x10 work? There seem to be more available for 42 teeth than 44 - should I change the chainring to accommodate? Etc

Apologies for my ignorance. 

The Potato 29 Sep 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

A 3x9 would be the ideal, from what I know most modern front derailleurs can be used top or bottom. Any shimano will do.

You can use a 3x10 but in my experience it will rub as the guide is narrower, you can however use a 10sp chain, which works fine on a 9sp cassette too.

LastBoyScout 29 Sep 2021

There will be a serial number somewhere round the clamp.

In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks. I'll have another look.

dovebiker 29 Sep 2021

Shimano Deore FD-M610 is a band mount, triple front mech top or bottom pull. If you get a 34.9mm you can get a spacer to allow it to fit a 31.8mm down tube. Lots on eBay etc.

RX-78 29 Sep 2021

No it doesn't have to be  deore, you coild go up or down the Shimano range, depending on how much money you want to spend. My mtb is a mix of shimano, mainly old deore XT stuff.

In reply to dovebiker:

Thanks. The FD-M610 is for ten speed and I have nine, which I gather from The Potato might not work well.

In reply to RX-78:

Thanks. I’m getting the hang of this Shimano code now. I think I can only get the derailleur for 3x9 and 44 teeth in the lower-spec Altus.

LastBoyScout 30 Sep 2021

There's a few suitable ones on eBay - I'd go for an XT one, think it'll be the FD-M760 for 3x9.

I'll try and check what mine is tomorrow.

Ditch the front mech and go 1 x 10, its miles better. Get a Deore long cage 10 speed mech (£50), Deore shifter (£25), chain (£15), Ebay narrow wide chain ring (£8), 10 speed cassette 11-46 (£50) and a few chain ring bolt spacers and you will be the happiest biker going. You may need an extension to your hanger which you can get for a fiver off Ebay. 1 x is the way to go!

Just in case anyone is ever in the same boat and unearths this thread: one piece of information which I nearly neglected is the chain stay angle. The derailleur I chose has two different models to accommodate the different angles. The old derailleur had the angle range stamped on it. 

And finally, should anyone else find this thread because they’re looking for the same thing… I ultimately got a Shimano Altus FD-M370 (66 to 69 degrees) for £10 plus postage. It needed a plastic adapter to fit my 31.8mm seat tube. Just fitted it and it seems to work perfectly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...