Help with Shimano part number please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 15 Jul 2021

I need a new freehub. I have a Shimano hub and a 9 speed cassette on a mtb but it is ~15 years old and there is pretty much no chance of part identification for the hub.

I was reliably informed by "the internet" that all 8, 9, 10 Shimano free hubs were the same.

Shimano, as everyone knows, like to make selection really difficult through their masterful use of really easy to decipher part numbers.

I bought a Shimano freehub that said it fits 8, 9, 10 speed cassettes, it came (to the wrong address of course) and today I stripped the cassette and bearings, the freehub was the correct length and pattern so I removed the old one only to discover the splined fitting to the hub was the wrong gender.  The spline on the hub is male, the spline on the new freehub is also male. Obviously I need a female spline.

Does anyone know what part I need? Despite cleaning the old freehub in solvent for an hour and remove shit loads of crap it's still as rough as a badger's bum, still keeps catching and reeling in the chain and still insist on slipping at mission critical moments keeping me in permanent fear of a nasty cross-bar related injury.

Help! please...

fire_munki 15 Jul 2021
In reply to gravy:

The freehub side where the cassette goes will be the same but how it connects to the hub will depend on the hub.

Your best bet is getting some pictures of the freehub and hub and uploading to r/bikewrench for the collective brainpower of a million bike mechanics online and hoping someone recognises it.

a crap climber 15 Jul 2021
In reply to gravy:

Funnily enough was looking for some hub part numbers for someone the other day.

It's for a road hub (wh r501 which I think is about 'sora' level), but y4sk98070 has a female spline fitting.

Probably better ways to find a more correct part but if you're struggling it might be an option.

Edited to add: are there any model numbers or anything on the hub body, or do you know what wheelset it was (e.g. deore, deore lx etc)? Did it come with a bike? In which case do you know the make, model and year of the bike? If you can identify the hub you may well be able to find the part number, though getting the part might be harder.

Post edited at 23:27
OP gravy 16 Jul 2021
In reply to a crap climber:

I found the hub part number FH-M475-L

Anyone know what freehub fits this?

Another stupid question, how many ball-bearings in each side?

cragtyke 16 Jul 2021
In reply to gravy:

Ok it's a pain , but does it warrant offensive language in the thread title?

OP gravy 16 Jul 2021
In reply to cragtyke:

I suppose I feel entitled to describe my incompetence in any way I want, however, I am sorry if I offended you.

Dark-Cloud 16 Jul 2021
In reply to gravy:

That’s a pretty common hub, for this sort of thing I normally default to SJS Cycles, they carry thousands of spares, drop them a line if in doubt

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/shimano-fhrm408-cassette-freehub-bod...

Post edited at 07:39
 a crap climber 16 Jul 2021
In reply to gravy:

> Another stupid question, how many ball-bearings in each side?

Usually 9 if they're 1/4" 

OP gravy 16 Jul 2021
In reply to a crap climber:

Thanks - I counted 8 out and when I was putting them back I thought there was a bit of a gap... I've ordered a new freehub (hopefully correct) and I'll bung in some new BB when I fit it.

Thanks everyone! this has been driving me mad and I'll be very gald to get my bike back nice!

Jon Greengrass 17 Jul 2021
In reply to gravy:

You can get exploded views with full parts lists and part numbers at

https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Keyword?name=M475

here’s the diagram for that hub.
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/ev/FH-M475/EV-FH-M475-219...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...