help selecting new bike wheels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 23 Feb 2020

Hi all, I need to get some new wheels for my bike as I have been advised that the hubs and rims are knackered. It's a Kona Jake 2011 http://2011.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=jake

I've had a look at wiggle and chain reaction, but it's a bit of a mine field. I mostly commute on road, but it does get used with cyclocross tyres on gravel tracks, bridleways etc.

I'd like to get lighter wheels if possible and have a budget of £200 to £300 at a push.

All general advice and specific recommendations welcome, cheers!

Dave Cundy 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Having gone from a £100 pair to £300 pair, i'd say you'll mostly notice the lighter weight on long hills.  I like mine (fulcrum racing 3s) but i'm skeptical about the benefit for general riding.  i've also used them for touring but worry about them going out of shape more easily, due to the reduced number of spokes under greater tension.

If you do a city type of commute, the continuous stopping and starting might give greater benefit.  A bit like continuously attacking at the front of the peleton (which is where the real benefit of light wheels is).

Dave B 23 Feb 2020

My preferences are either shimano or dt swiss. 

You could just about get some low end dt swiss for under 300. There are some great cheaper ones from shimano too, but they are heavier. 

I've gone right off mavic wheels... painted non-stainless spokes, shudder. 

Post edited at 14:48
OP Baron Weasel 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Cundy:

> Having gone from a £100 pair to £300 pair, i'd say you'll mostly notice the lighter weight on long hills.  I like mine (fulcrum racing 3s) but i'm skeptical about the benefit for general riding.  i've also used them for touring but worry about them going out of shape more easily, due to the reduced number of spokes under greater tension.

I live in the lakes so lots of hills in every direction. I found that light tyres make a hugh difference cycling over kirkstone and other big hills so definitely keen to go lighter if I can without sacrificing strength. 

kevin stephens 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Cundy:

Glad to see you’ve seen the light and become a roadie Dave

to the OP I really like my Cero AR30, really great value and light road wheels and only a little over your budget. However they may be a bit flimsy for off road use. I recommend you get your local bike shop to build some wheels on Mavic Open Pro rims with a high spike count (Sapin) and Shimano 105 hubs. They will be relatively light, strong and very easy to straighten should they encounter a mishap 

Post edited at 15:57
 JLS 23 Feb 2020

Second the handbuilt Mavic open pro suggestion above but it does rely on finding a good local builder.

In reply to JLS:

> Second the handbuilt Mavic open pro suggestion above but it does rely on finding a good local builder.

I might have that covered, a lad I work with can build wheels and might do it with me during breaks. 

JLS 23 Feb 2020

If you’re sure he’s up to the task... definitely a big difference between a builder and a good builder.

gethin_allen 23 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave B:

> I've gone right off mavic wheels... painted non-stainless spokes, shudder. 

Me too since I got some OEM.  The spokes are rusting like a 1970s Rover and all the nipples (every single one I'd bet) are seized solid.

The fulcrum wheels I have are nice but not what I'd choose for commuting.

All the shimano wheels I've had have just worked and been generally good value.

In reply to JLS:

> If you’re sure he’s up to the task... definitely a big difference between a builder and a good builder.

He was a bike mechanic for Evans Cycles before and builds his own wheels so there's a good chance that he's the later.. I'll have a crack with him tomorrow

cousin nick 24 Feb 2020

Perhaps slightly over your budget but have a look at Hunt wheels.

I don't have Hunt wheels for my road bikes (yet), but very impressed with their MTB wheels for off-road.

N

JimR 24 Feb 2020
In reply to cousin nick:

Another recommendation for Hunt. I’ve got a set of their 4 seasons on my gravel bike

ChrisJD 24 Feb 2020

If you want a more gravel oriented wheel-set and can up the budget, then also look at the Hope Tech 20Fives wheelset.  Run these on my gravel bike and they take some abuse on the trails in the Peak.

(to keep in budget, have an look on Ebay for 2nd hand, currently a set for £280 inc postage) 

cb294 24 Feb 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

I use Tune Dreckschleuder, should be available at your budget second hand.

CB

JLS 24 Feb 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

>"Hope Tech 20Fives wheelset"

Aren't they disc?

However Hope hubs and Mavic Open Pro just about stay in budget...

Rear at £179 https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-rs4-open-pro-road-wheels-97180.html
Front at £128 https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Hope-Technology/RS4-32-Hole-Open-Pro-Clinc...

gezebo 24 Feb 2020

I built some wheels for my Kona Honky Tonk. 105 hubs, open pro rims and quality spokes. They've been going strong for years now and I've only had to slightly true the front wheel once. I've use mine for lightweight touring on 25's which included gravel paths etc so very strong I'm not a lightweight either.

I built another set using tiagra hubs and the cheaper mavic rims to and they were also a big improvement on the stock wheels the kona came with.

Either way you should be able to get a big improvement for your budget.

ChrisJD 24 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

Yes, my bad. Always assume people ride disks (as I'm a MTBer).

OP Baron Weasel 24 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

> >"Hope Tech 20Fives wheelset"

> Aren't they disc?

> However Hope hubs and Mavic Open Pro just about stay in budget...

They look good, it says 11 speed though and I think mine is 9 speed? 

JLS 24 Feb 2020

That shouldn't be a problem to fit your nine speed cassette on a new 11 speed hub. You'd need a 1.85mm spacer to pack out the slack but these are readily avaialbe for £3-£5.

Mr Fuller 24 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS:

You might not even need a spacer at all, depending on the setup. One of my bikes runs 9 speed on an 11 speed hub with no spacer, while another set of wheels doing the same requires a spacer. 8 and 10 speed on 11 speed hub always require a spacer in my experience. All very confusing...

JLS 24 Feb 2020
In reply to Mr Fuller:

>"You might not even need a spacer at all, depending on the setup."

Yeah, I could image that scenario if your particular cassette lock-ring is just a bit narrower than the typical such that it doesn't bottom out too soon...

OP Baron Weasel 24 Feb 2020
In reply to JLS and everyone else:

Thanks for info, might have a punt on some of the mavic/hope wheels later in the week (depending on how big a bill I get for my vans brake hydraulics!). 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...