Head Camera - Recommendations Please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 12 Mar 2019

Can any point me at a good camera to use for my commuting rides?  Cheaper and stupid proof better if possible.

thepodge 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Bobling:

I'm using a Muvi Atom. Very small and lightweight but the picture quality could only be described as ok. I tried a GoPro but it was just too big and bulky.

Martin W 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Personally I'm not a fan of headcams - I find the not-very-steady-cam video they produce both irritating and literally nauseating (i.e it makes me feel sick).  Handlebar mounting is not quite so bad, but still tends to have an annoying wobble caused by the continuous small steering corrections that are pretty much unavoidable on a pushbike.  For that reason I've given up on my Cycliq Fly12 too (plus the fact that the integrated light was decidedly unfriendly to other road users - on road I now use a light that's compliant with the German StVZO standard which mandates a clear horizontal cut-off, like dipped car headlights).  Until someone comes out with a decently priced bodycam I tend to use my el cheapo GoPro knock-off* on a Decathlon chest mount (in fact Decathlon do a couple of cheap GoPro clones as well).

However, if you feel you have to go down the headcam route then have a look at the action cam reviews on Techmoan:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/action-cameras

His current favourite headcam is the Drift Innovation Ghost X.

Top tip: disable sound recording.  Unless you are confident in your ability to control your language in stressful situations, your sarcastic/annoyed/aggressive remarks to idiot motorists can be used as an excuse not to take action against the person who tried to kill you.  Shouting rude things at someone who's almost driven in to you gets labelled as "There was clearly fault on both sides", or "You were antagonising them" if they become physically violent.

* This one, in fact: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/3/the-sj4000-action-camera-review.html

Martin W 13 Mar 2019
In reply to thepodge:

> I'm using a Muvi Atom.

The Atom doesn't seem to be available any more.  It is the kind of bodycam-style camera I'd prefer, though with the open SD card slot I doubt it's all that waterproof so maybe not that suitable for cycle commuting.

You have reminded me that I do have a cheap knock-off of the Muvi stashed away somewhere.  My recollection is  that it was far from easy to use and the image quality was iffy but I might see if I can dig it out and use it as a trial of that type of camera on the bike, with a view to getting something more up to date (such as one of the Boblov bodycams that can be found online) if it seems to do the job.

thepodge 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Martin W:

Never had a problem with irritating or nauseating footage as I only ever review it if there has been an issue. I've never used a chest mount camera but generally tend to find they always film too low and don't film where you look. 

Might be interested in making you an offer for the Cycliq Fly12 if you want. 

I have the atom as it was end of line and half price, it came with a waterproof case.

Martin W 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Another consideration for commuting at this time of year is low light performance.  The cheaper cameras tend to be less good in this regard.

OP Bobling 13 Mar 2019
In reply to thepodge:

indeed - I would have thought a record of where one looked would be very helpful!

Martin W 13 Mar 2019
In reply to thepodge:

> Might be interested in making you an offer for the Cycliq Fly12 if you want.

YHM

LastBoyScout 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Bobling:

I'm using a Veho Muvi K2 NPNG on a K-Edge handlebar mount. Can mount direct, or the NPNG comes with a waterproof case - and a selection of mounts.

Been pretty pleased with it so far - good sound and picture in daylight, less good at night, but I think that's partly condensation in the waterproof case. Also used it a bit on holiday and got some acceptable underwater shots, but I have a rather better camera and case for that. Can also get spare batteries for them.

Can pick them up for around £130 new - got mine via the Argos eBay shop.

thepodge 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Bobling:

As mentioned, I wasn't happy using it as a helmet cam but I do still my gopro if anyone is interested

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2436761/

@martin, I'll reply to your email later today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...