Handlebar Muffs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 plyometrics 09 Dec 2018

As a Raynauds sufferer, I’m considering getting some neoprene handlebar muffs (stop sniggering at the back) for my MTB, on the roads, to tide me over the winter season. 

Question is, do they actually make a difference to warmth, particularly when added with gloves?

Currently using down mitts, but even they don’t cut the mustard for my pathetic hands. 

Any useful advice greatly appreciated. 

greg_may_ 09 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

Pogies, sounds less daft

And yes they do help a lot. Couple of UK companies make them, Hotpog tend to be a go to for a lot of people.

OP plyometrics 09 Dec 2018
In reply to greg_may_:

Superb, thanks for that.

Not heard the term ‘pogie’ before, definitely less contentious! Will check them out.  

Much appreciated!

Luke90 09 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

You can also get heated grips. My girlfriend has raynaud's and found them very useful.

OP plyometrics 09 Dec 2018
In reply to Luke90:

Thanks. Will check those out too. 

summo 09 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

Have a look at lobster claw mitts. Yes that's their real name, the split might means you can still change gears etc... and pogies for winter kayaking..  will broaden your range of options. 

Post edited at 21:40
 colinakmc 09 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

I’m just back from New York where I saw a lot of bikers using poly bags tied to the bars above the brake levers...might let you know if the idea is any good before you spend proper money.

Max factor 09 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

you have my sympathy. Me too (Raynauds & on the bike nearly every day). 

not found a solution yet. let me know how you get on with your muffs/pogies/thingies.

nacnud 10 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

There are these, not tried them myself.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/bear-paws

krikoman 10 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

My uncle used to have a handlebar muff tash, my auntie said it kept her very warm

Dan Glynn 10 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

I bought some Specialized Element 3.0 - lobster claw type things. Really impressed - at around 2C after the initial chill down, my hands actually started getting warmer again, and on a 4C club ride, everyone but me had cold hands too. They take a bit of getting used to, and are a little insensitive for gear changes but I can cope with that.

Before this the only way I could keep my hands warm was with winter climbing mitts. But changing gear & braking was a bit too dodgy to be safe.

OP plyometrics 10 Dec 2018
In reply to Max factor:

Will let you know how I get on, particularly if I can revert with a positive result!

OP plyometrics 10 Dec 2018
In reply to all:

Thanks all, some great suggestions all round. Much appreciated. 

nniff 11 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

Slightly off-topic, but Decathlon's wotsit 900 cycling gloves are seriously warm.  They're £19 a pair and warmer than £75 Castelli Estremo

two_tapirs 11 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

I expected this to be a thread about pubic topiary.

anyha 12 Dec 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

These are the ones that I use

https://www.hotpog.co.uk/products/classic-pogies

greg_may_ 12 Dec 2018
In reply to two_tapirs:

Don't worry, there's still time. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...