Handle bars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alan.rodger 27 Jan 2019

I have a friend with arthritic wrist issues. Any advice on most suitable handle bars would be welcome.

nniff 27 Jan 2019
In reply to alan.rodger:

Take a regular pair of  W form touring handle bars and turn them over. Get a pair of moulder grips to go on the ends - gives two very comfortable hand positions, angled slightly rather than straight, which alleviates a great deal of the discomfort.   You may need to take an inch or two off the ends (better than taking a couple of inches out of the middle). Ideally with less acute angles than the ones below, but those will give quite a racy position that's easy on the wrists.

https://www.wiggle.com/brand-x-trekking-high-rise-bar/

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMA/on-one-mary-handlebar

The best source is likely to be family-oriented bike shops

Ciro 27 Jan 2019
In reply to alan.rodger:

What sort of bike?

If it's a road bike, a normal set of road bars the right width for your shoulders, with a short stem and the brake levers rotated up high, can create a very neutral position for the wrists riding on the hoods.

It was my default position for a long time commuting in London and cycle touring as well, including London to Paris whilst suffering slight carpal tunnel syndrome from office work.

OP alan.rodger 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Ciro: It's a 15 years old Dawes Galaxy.

G

Jeff Ingman 27 Jan 2019
In reply to alan.rodger:

I have some Mary handle bars that you can have. Send me a message and we'll sort it out...... Jeff

LastBoyScout 27 Jan 2019
In reply to alan.rodger:

Friend of mine with knackered wrists (broken in the past) uses clip-on tri bars a lot, as then the weight is on his forearms and not his wrists.

Ciro 27 Jan 2019
In reply to alan.rodger:

Sounds young enough to have a replaceable stem? If so with playing and with the setup to get on the hoods like I suggested above and see how it feels.

Ciro 27 Jan 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Friend of mine with knackered wrists (broken in the past) uses clip-on tri bars a lot, as then the weight is on his forearms and not his wrists.

Might be an idea, but careful if having a touring bike means covering long distances... Clip ons on a road bike setup are OK for short distances but you really want the bike set up completely different for spending account long time in a time trial position.

LastBoyScout 28 Jan 2019
In reply to Ciro:

That was a short reply in a hurry earlier.

Obviously, you'd need to get the position sorted - my mate has never been anywhere near a TT (to my knowledge) and has his set up for sportives and normal road riding. I think he's got a shorter stem on and the clip-ons are quite high.

The bigger issues are access to gears, which are easily, if not cheaply, fixed with Di2 (or eTap/EPS)* and brakes, which are not.

* although probably a fiddle on an old Galaxy!

OP alan.rodger 28 Jan 2019
In reply to alan.rodger:

Can I just say thanks guys for what has come forward so far.

In reply to alan.rodger:

If vibration and road shock is an aggravating factor, try going up a tyre size (width terms) and reducing the pressure slightly. 

Latex inner tubes also smooth out the vibrations though they are quite a bit more expensive than butyl and need topping up every few days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...