good cycling app for following planned route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Can anyone recommend a good app for planning, and then following a route using GPS on a smart phone mounted to the handlebars? Strava seemed like the answer but the map doesn't auto-rotate apparently, so can be slightly confusing to follow. Ideally a map that always has you moving "up" the screen like a car sat nav would be ideal. Happy to pay for a decent app if it works well.

Marek 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I use bikehike.co.uk to plan route and Osmand (free) as the navigation app. Does the autorotate (if that's what you want), offline maps (doesn't depend on signal), configurable colours, line widths and detail levels (so you can get a simple clear display), turn-by-turn direction (visual and audio), good battery optimisation (lasts a day)... 

In reply to Marek:

That sounds perfect, will have a look...thx!

thepodge 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Marek:

What device are you using to get all day usage?

I've an old smartphone that I'm running MMTracker (I already had all the OS MM maps) on but the screen is burning through battery in 3ish hours. I know I could turn the screen off but then I'm stopping every 200 yards to check where to go. 

Marek 21 Aug 2018
In reply to thepodge:

I have a Moto G5 (Android 7) which seems much better on battery usage than my old Samsung.

With Osmand I've configured the screen to be coloured lines on black background (rather than the default white background) and if you are in navigation mode, the app can be configured to only turn on the screen when you approach a junction or sharp bend (anything which prompts an audio turn indication) and then turn the screen off 30 secs later. That plus airplane mode gives me 8-10 hours usage without an external battery. I've not really explore more details of what might affect the usage time (e.g., just turning off WiFi instead of all RF stuff). The above config just works well enough for me.

thepodge 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Marek:

Thanks for that, I'm using an old Sony Xperia (android 4.3), the 4" screen seems ideal for being on the stem. I like the idea of the screen only coming on when needed and already have airplane mode / battery saving etc on so if this app cures some or all of my battery issues then we could be onto a winner. 

Only thing is I'm not a fan of Open street maps and already have all the digital OS maps so maybe I just have to suck it up and become a convert. 

Marek 21 Aug 2018
In reply to thepodge:

You may be able to use you OS maps on Osmand...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/osmand/Gt70rPh0s8w

... but you'll have no control over how they are rendered on the screen. For navigation on a moving bike I like the display to have thick lines, decluttered of irrelevant detail and with a black background - which I can get via the vector-based OSM but not from a raster map like OS.

In reply to Marek:

Struggling to export a GPX route into osmand from strava...any ideas?

Marek 21 Aug 2018

> Struggling to export a GPX route into osmand from strava...any ideas?

For a start you want a GPX Track rather than a GPX Route. As to why the export is a problem I don't know - I don't use Strava. I create a route with bikehike, download it (a GPX track) to my PC and then upload it to my Dropbox, go to Dropbox on the phone and open the GPX file with Osmand. That's it. Android version? I'm on 7.

thepodge 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Marek:

I like it but its not the most user friendly of apps is it, it must have about 30 menus and about 10 steps to find the gpx you'd like to follow but I have managed it. 

I created a gpx on my computer then used a cable to connect my phone and transfer the file. 

In reply to Marek:

Ok, managed to export the GPX from strava to drop box, but when i go to Osmand and select setting in navigation menu, I choose GPX route, and it shows nothing there ? frustrating...everything I am finding online suggest Drop box should see Osmand as a target application...it doesn't for me? frustrating..

thepodge 21 Aug 2018

This is basically the same way I load the gpx 

youtube.com/watch?v=R5i34VnudLc&

Or... menu > my places >tracks > + > navigate to the saved gpx > exit menu > navigate > GPX route > Select GPX > exit menu > Go.

Post edited at 15:54
In reply to thepodge:

im on IOS, menu>my places>tracks means nothing on my phone...certainly not how its configured in Osmand

thepodge 21 Aug 2018

Sorry, can't help with ios. 

Just used it on the walk home, the maps seem to move slightly clunky and no matter what options I select I can't get the screen to come on at junctions so unlikely I'll see much battery life improvement. 

I'll try it on another, newer phone in case it's android / manufacturer specific but it looks like I'll be sticking with MMTracker and a power bank for now. 

Marek 21 Aug 2018
In reply to thepodge:

> Sorry, can't help with ios. 

> Just used it on the walk home, the maps seem to move slightly clunky and no matter what options I select I can't get the screen to come on at junctions so unlikely I'll see much battery life improvement. 

> I'll try it on another, newer phone in case it's android / manufacturer specific but it looks like I'll be sticking with MMTracker and a power bank for now. 

I'm guessing your on an older version of Osmand? Mine's 3.1.5 and much better than the older ones (which didn't do screen on/off thing).

Marek 21 Aug 2018

> ... but when i go to Osmand and select setting in navigation menu, ...

No, I do it the other way round: I go to Dropbox on my phone select the GPX file and get an option as to which app to open it with. I select the Osmand option. But I'm not on IOS and I think the IOS version of Osmand is a bit behind the Android version (the clues in the name).

thepodge 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Marek:

3.1.5 for me too. I'll have another experiment on the way to work tomorrow and might come back to you if I've still not sorted it. 

In reply to Marek:

That's my problem, when I try and export it from dropbox, Osmand is not an option in my list of apps available.

Never mind, looks like I will have to pay for a month with ridewithGPS. If that's not that successful I will just buy a Wahoo ELEMNT and be done with it.

thepodge 22 Aug 2018

Just this setting? nothing else?

https://image.ibb.co/h067YK/Capture.jpg

Tried the original phone again on the way to work as I don't have a mount for the new phone and the screen doesn't do anything unless I switch it manually 

Post edited at 10:02
 Marek 22 Aug 2018
In reply to thepodge:

> Just this setting? nothing else?

> https://image.ibb.co/h067YK/Capture.jpg

> Tried the original pone again on the way to work as I don't have a mount for the new phone and the screen doesn't do anything unless I switch it manually 

Yes that's it.

I presume you're getting the audio navigation indications ("Slight left in 100 yards..." and all that) but it's just not turning the screen on? When you installed Osmand did you give it all the permissions it asked for? Recent Android seems very reluctant to allow apps to access any hardware resources unless the user give explicit permission. Otherwise I can only guess it's the phone's Android variant.

thepodge 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Marek:

I did get voice instructions but muted them. All permissions have been granted.

The screen is ether always on or always off but its me not the app making that decision. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...