Go Wiggo!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 27 Aug 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

Never saw that coming. Hope he makes a go of it.

JLS 27 Aug 2019

While it's undoubtly true that anyone with the ability to apply themselves so fully, such that they win the Tour de France, is hard to write off, I somehow can't help feeling sceptical that this will ever pan out. The words "snowball's chance in hell" immediately spring do mind. Perhaps I've mis-judged Mr Wiggins' character or lack an understanding of the qualties needed to succeed in that line of work. Time will tell.

Post edited at 14:11
 abr1966 27 Aug 2019

Fair play to him.....for someone who I guess is relatively financially secure and could make a living as a pundit to make a step in to something like Social Work is great. I'm not a Social Worker but the bulk of my colleagues are and he will need resilience for sure.....it would be like being a pro cyclist with one average bike to use, virtually no spare parts and half a team.....then when you don't win everyone slagging you off and blaming you...

Good luck to him....

subtle 28 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

> While it's undoubtly true that anyone with the ability to apply themselves so fully, such that they win the Tour de France, is hard to write off, I somehow can't help feeling sceptical that this will ever pan out. The words "snowball's chance in hell" immediately spring do mind. Perhaps I've mis-judged Mr Wiggins' character or lack an understanding of the qualties needed to succeed in that line of work. Time will tell.

Well , it makes a change from rowing

JLS 28 Aug 2019
In reply to subtle:

Hard to go deep into the well once life becomes cushty.

Smoking a rolly while shooting the breeze for an hour with some delinquent kid sounds doable though. I expect that’s the bit of the job he fancies and the harder stuff…well not so much. But hey, I’m merely speculating.

abr1966 28 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

> Hard to go deep into the well once life becomes cushty.

> Smoking a rolly while shooting the breeze for an hour with some delinquent kid sounds doable though. 

Reality check.....more like trying to form.a relationship with a sexually abused child who has been so neglected, traumatised, let down and groomed in to never speaking to social workers that you feel like you are continuing to traumatise them.....then finding out the birth family know what car you drive and being advised to check your mirrors and vary your route home. Then having a caseload of 30 not the recommended 12 - 15.....

Hardly having a fag with a 'delinquent' kid is it...

JLS 28 Aug 2019
In reply to abr1966:

> Reality check.....more like trying to form.a relationship with a sexually abused child who has been so neglected, traumatised, let down and groomed in to never speaking to social workers that you feel like you are continuing to traumatise them.....then finding out the birth family know what car you drive and being advised to check your mirrors and vary your route home. Then having a caseload of 30 not the recommended 12 - 15.....

> Hardly having a fag with a 'delinquent' kid is it...

I do feel that by missing out, “the harder stuff…well not so much”, when quoting me, you are misrepresenting what I’ve said and the point I was making.

Anyway, I should be kinder and give Sir Wiggins the benefit of the doubt.

DaveHK 28 Aug 2019

I wish him well with this but like JLS I'm a little sceptical.

He says he's unshockable but I don't really think that's a qualification, perhaps even the opposite. Even if he isn't shocked by the things he sees and hears around cases I suspect he might be shocked by the level of support and resources social workers have to work with, the constraints they have to work under and the abuse they have to put up with.

Post edited at 18:43
 DaveHK 28 Aug 2019
In reply to abr1966:

> Hardly having a fag with a 'delinquent' kid is it...

You seem to be making the same point as JLS which is that it most definitely isn't all about having a fag with a delinquent kid.

In reply to DaveHK:

If he does make a go of it, having someone as high profile doing the job, might concentrate the minds of those in charge of the purse strings.,

DaveHK 05 Sep 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> having someone as high profile doing the job, might concentrate the minds of those in charge of the purse strings.,

I'm not sure if that possibility makes me sad or happy. Sad on the whole I think.

Post edited at 08:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...