Glen Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 21 Mar 2023

Is it feasible to cycle beyond the Glen Nevis upper car park to Steall and further?

Mike-W-99 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I enjoy my mountain biking but whenever I've walked it I've never thought I wish I was on my bike.

Post edited at 07:58
 DaveHK 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Is it feasible to cycle beyond the Glen Nevis upper car park to Steall and further?

Not really. It's sort of almost worthwhile coming the other way but it's not that rideable through the gorge and the path above the meadows isn't great for cycling either.

drunken monkey 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman: I've only ever run/walked it but Beyond Steal meadows the path gets very boggy. I cannot imagine it being a pleasant cycle (probably carrying your bike if i'm honest) beyond that point.

OP Pete Pozman 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Many thanks for the advice. I'll leave the bike in the car.

GeorgeR 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I remember riding out to Luibielt bothy years ago (1997 ish i think) there was a bit of push and carry and a couple of awkward river/stream crossings but do remember riding quite a bit of it, this was on full rigid bikes too back then. (and before they put the steps in through the gorge)

We then returned to Fort William on the track via Loch Eilde Mor, Mamore Lodge and the West Highalnd way, it was a epic full day out but great fun.

Post edited at 13:38
 Nathan Adam 21 Mar 2023
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Even if you could ride it, you would probably be having to stop to give way to the masses of walkers on the trail at any one time. The way back would be okay but again, lots of people going in both directions and not much space for folks to get out of the way, many of whom are already pretty shaky on their feet. 

It is however, a lovely cycle from town up the Glen and there’s now a bike rack in place for you to leave it there (lock recommend) for the walk up to the meadow and beyond. 

OP Pete Pozman 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Nathan Adam:

I was thinking of doing it tomorrow. I don't think I'll be meeting many people! I'll leave the bike at the top car park so I can cycle back down to the car after I've explored the upper glen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...