Glasses anti-fog / rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Davies 08 Sep 2020

I wear prescription glasses. Any recommendations for a spray / wipe to help moisture bounce off lenses or stop fogging up whilst cycling or other outdoor activities this winter ? 

Dave B 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

I've been trialing Nikwax Visor Proof this summer on the sea. It better than nothing, but obvs. the sea water leaves salt stains and it doesn't bead as well as I'd hope... 

for the inside i've been using Aquasphere goggle anti-fog spray, which seems to work OK... ish...

I'm sure there must be better solutions... However, these haven't damaged the coatings on the glasses, so I'm loathe to try other things.

This is for non-prescription plastic lenses.

Yanis Nayu 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

Johnson’s baby shampoo. 

Basemetal 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies: If you have a car, RainX and FogX windscreen treatments both work well. So should visually any dry soap film, like washing up liquid -just wipe it on, rub it in a bit and polish it off without water.

Basemetal 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

"visually"=Virtually

Dan Arkle 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

I find it interesting that RainX and FogX work in completely opposite ways.

nniff 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

RainX helps a bit.  A cycling cap under your helmet is the most effective at keeping rain off lenses. I think that a good car polish is better than RainX - it needs a bit of courage and a soft cloth but clean your glasses, and wipe some gently onto both sides of the lenses with your finger.  Let it dry.  Polish it off very gently with a soft cloth and repeat. 

Works on Oakley's with fancy coated lenses - even to the extent of making a pair with a ding right in the eye-line good to wear again.  I set about those with a 'nothing to lose' approach and gave them about eight coats and a good polishing - they're wearable now.

The more coats you apply, the more resistant to fogging they get.

I use Autoglym because that's what was in the garage.  If you use that colour-restorer polish,  you deserve to be in a ditch...

LastBoyScout 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

I've tried Rain Wizard and RainX, as I've got both in the garage - seems to help a bit.

I've also got some stuff from a trade show, which is a sort of wax - looks like a crayon and you just polish that into the lenses. Also works, but more of a faff with the polishing.

You need to be going a decent speed for rain to be blown off the lenses, though.

PPP 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

I know it’s not what you asked, but have you considered contact lenses? 

I run daily (8-10 times a week) and typically wear active prescription glasses for shorter (up to 15 miles) road runs. When it’s a longer run or a run on trails/hills, then it’s contacts time. I don’t like the faff when camping and eyes can dry out a bit, but it’s worth it.

It’s not expensive as I typically just order a 30 daily lens box for each eye every few months. Comes at £100 a year or so, I reckon. 

OP Tim Davies 08 Sep 2020
In reply to PPP:

ha ha good old UKC!  

I’ve been wearing lenses for years but advanced age means I have a complicated prescription, and I can’t wear the varifocal lenses for work, so it means having two sets of lenses, plus specs etc etc etc. I might go back to simple lenses and just accept that I can’t read a map ....

PPP 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

Sorry! Contacts are just so much nicer, even though I dislike them. 

I would have been happy getting LASIK, but I’m currently on -1/-0.75 correction that hasn’t changed in last 5 years (I’m in late 20s). I believe I would struggle convincing anyone it’s a good idea. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...