Glasgow UCI World Cup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 17 Nov 2012
Anyone been watching?

I was at the Velodrome for this afternoon's session and 'been watching on the red button tonight.

Thoroughly enjoying the racing and typically classy performances from the Brits.

Looking forward to more of the same tomorrow (perhaps without the heavy crashes).
 andy 17 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS: yep, watched Trotty win the devil at the end. Missed the women's sprint but looked like the Brits did ok given it's the first comp after the limpicks.

Laura Trott though, eh? What a megastar.
OP JLS 17 Nov 2012
In reply to andy:

She looked a bit rusty in the points race and I thought she must have over done the post Olympics' partying but all seem well now. Looking good for a medal tomorrow.
 andy 17 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS: i suspect she was a tad tired from dragging Dani King round 3k yesterday as well...
 Pids 18 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS:
Was there yesterday as well, excellent

Will have to be the red button though for me today
 Fraser 18 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS:

At the last minute, I ended up being offered a couple of spare tickets for yesterday but couldn't make it, aargh! Have a good one today.
OP JLS 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Fraser:

Oh, I'm not there today Will be climbing and recording the red button broadcast.
OP JLS 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Pids:

Didn't see you!
almost sane 18 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS:
I was there on Friday. What an experience!
I've been watching yesterday and today on the Beeb. Tele was good, but nowhere near the drama of being there, literally feeling the slipstream as the bunch flew past.

But I loved Laura Trott's interview after winning the Omnium. She had only come to say thanks to the home crowd, and she wasn't fit. But once on the track, she decided she liked getting gold too much... What a star.
Even better than her interview was seeing her perform on the track. What a star!
OP JLS 18 Nov 2012
In reply to almost sane:

>"nowhere near the drama of being there, literally feeling the slipstream as the bunch flew past"

£500 will buy you a bike that will let you get even closer to the bunch...

(initially you can hire a bike there)
 lost1977 18 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS:

really tempted to head on up to Glasgow to ride but hell that track looks damn scary compared to Herne hill
In reply to JLS:

Was there yesterday - brilliant event.

Watched the finals today. My brother was a starting gate assistant for the women but was on the opposite site to LT...heh heh.
OP JLS 18 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Na, currently collecting and painting these...

http://tinyurl.com/bhcyuu8
 Will Hunt 18 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS:
Yes, was there today. Tense seeing Trott go into the final event a place down from Gold but she absolutely unleashed hell in the final time trial. Incredible!
OP JLS 18 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:

What's the story with the London Olympic track? When will that be open to punters?

I'm guessing London, Manchester, Glasgow and Newport will all offer a similar experience...
 lost1977 18 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS:

no idea when the london velo will be open to the public, it of a shame they couldn't get it open for public use over the winter as HH is shut till march and i hope the recent burst of interest won't be lost (they were having to add in extra sessions to cope with the increase). Glasgow looks tighter and steeper than london but i have a feeling some of that could have been the camera angle.

think a UKc velodrome meet is needed
 soularch 19 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS: Was a great day out, my kids loved being so close to the action. The crashes were brutal but added to the drama. Can't wait to go back. Vogel looks like the Female equivalent of Chris Hoy!
 stevez 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:

London will open to the public in 2014.

You are right about the steepness of Glasgow, the banking there is 45degrees vs 42degrees at London.
 lost1977 22 Nov 2012
In reply to stevez:

blimey 45 is steep (can't wait to ride an indoor track) and that's a silly long wait until London is open for punters
 Enty 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to stevez)
>
> blimey 45 is steep (can't wait to ride an indoor track) and that's a silly long wait until London is open for punters

One thing to get your head round is that the bank is 45° at the bottom of the banking and still only 45° 6 inches from the top of the banking - so riding round close to the barrier is just like riding round on the black line.

E
 lost1977 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

don't know what its like on a shorter track (i ride at herne hill which is 450m with iirc just over 30 degree banking) but from about half way round the end it gives the illusion that the track drops away really steeply although its only moderate banking
 Enty 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:

Yeah. I used to ride at Manchester which is steep. The acceleration you can get by dropping down from the top of the bank to the straight is amazing.

Regarding the slope. It's just like climbing - how does a 4c move feel off the deck compared to a 4c move solo 30 feet up.

E
 balmybaldwin 22 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS:

Had "masterclass" from Rebecca Romero earlier this year down at the Newport Velodrome... The first few laps where we were going very slowly getting used to a fixed wheel, I found the banking very unnerving, feeling like the front wheel was about to slip and me fall in an undignified heap on the floor.

When we got up to speed, the feeling going round the banking of being pressed into the floor is amazing, and if you are riding high up the banking, that did get the buterflies going.

We were followed on to the track by the NZ womens squad... beautiful looking ladies, but the size of their legs was scary!
OP JLS 22 Nov 2012
In reply to stevez:

>"London will open to the public in 2014."

Yikes! That sound a bit of a while. Perhaps a squat could be organised? You know, local cycling clubs taking turns to keep the building occupied 24/7 and running track leagues etc. Seems a shame to have the building sitting empty.
 stevez 23 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS:

Apparently all to do with the work they need to do on the park taking down the temporary structures etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...