Getting to the start and finish of routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 04 Jun 2021

In the CTC mag this month there is a suggested route Newbiggin to Sunderland point, and kind of follows the Lune which sounds great. Its a journey source to sea, generally down hill, and just seems a nice idea.

We like the trains, but they would take 3 or 4 hours and cost £55 ish.

We could take two cars and have one at each end, but that defeats the trying to be a bit more eco friendly I am trying to do.

Just having a bit of a moan really, thanks for listening.

elliot.baker 04 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

bloody nature of three dimensional space tut. need some 4d wormhole action to make point-to-point routes easier. 😂

If it makes you feel better I paid £40 in the end for a 15 min taxi from Tryfan to Pen-y-Pas the other day for a point to point route, but the first quote was £65.

J1234 04 Jun 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

I did wonder. Fair play though, I bet the driver had to get up at 4am and come from Bethesda or some where, but I do feel your pain. Did you give a tip?

Your wormhole is an excellent idea.

elliot.baker 04 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

I didn't but I feel wracked with guilt now! I'll definitely use them again though was great service.

I thought it was a fair price even including the time of day, you'd only need one or two more jobs like that and you could call it a day.

Just for future reference I’m curious which taxi firm ended up being the winning quote?

If it was the weekend then there's a bus service which would have cost you £3 return 🤷‍♂️

Jimbo C 06 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

Getting trains definitely has some issues but overall could be quicker than the car logistics and definitely better for the environment. I'm still amazed that me and a mate managed to do the C2C (Whitehaven - Sunderland) in a weekend, what with our bike reservations being ignored and cancelled trains etc. Certainly made it an adventure. 

elliot.baker 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Taxi Arfon 

https://snowdonia-taxiarfon.co.uk/

can’t recommend highly enough super professional service, said he’d do Welsh 3000s and stuff like that as well. 

Thanks, that’s good to know 

lpretro1 10 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

You'll also have to look at the tide timetable for Sunderland Point - road is covered by water at every high tide! if you get it wrong you could be there a while...the Lune Bore is cracking to see though

Lankyman 10 Jun 2021
In reply to lpretro1:

> You'll also have to look at the tide timetable for Sunderland Point - road is covered by water at every high tide! if you get it wrong you could be there a while...the Lune Bore is cracking to see though

Not too great a problem on a bike as you could use the BW on the west side of the point if the road was under water. That will get you towards Heysham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...