Getting Around Corsica with a Bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 25 Jul 2022

So, I'm planning on doing the GT20 cycle route across Corsica in Sept.  I'll be bikepacking with my tent.

Has anyone done the GT20 or any cycling in Corsica?  After completion of the route, I'll need to get from Bonifacio in the south, back to Bastia in the North with my bike (or the reverse if travelling at the start).  Seems there's little info about on local buses and no idea if they'd take me with the bike.

Any help or advice from UKCers on getting about Corsica with a bike in tow?

subtle 26 Jul 2022
In reply to crayefish:

I havent biked in Corsica but good luck - the mountain roads are feckin steep, it can be very very hot as well - and off the main roads the roads are very gravelly.

Apart from that its a great place to go, the scenery and walks are amazing, the people very friendly and welcoming.

OP crayefish 26 Jul 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Thanks!  Hills seem mostly under 10% so doable, but a few long climbs in there... will tough on the legs for sure.

Will be with my gravel bike (with 32mm GP5000s) so rough roads are no issue at all.  But I've never been so really looking forward to the scenery.

Jim Lancs 26 Jul 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Not being facetious, but you have a bike with you, and it's only 100 miles, so couldn't you . . . .

I don't remember that coast road being a particular nightmare, bu I was there later in September.

One thing I do remember about cycling in Corsica is that they do use 'tar and grit' on their mountain roads. If you come across a 'fresh stretch' where there's no available diversionary route, then you, your bike and gear can easily become one grit encrusted tar ball. I had to buy a gallon of petrol and a scrubbing brush to get my bike working again.

Post edited at 09:20
 Trangia 26 Jul 2022
In reply to subtle:

Very true, and many of the locals drive like rally drivers, so don't expect any traffic coming towards you will necessarily be driving on the right when coming round a blind bend, and holes in the wall along side a cross with a wreath or burning candle in a jar, and the shattered wreckage of a vehicle in the gorge 1,000 ft below is a fairly common sight. 

Timy2 26 Jul 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Hi I cycled northern part of Corse 10 yrs ago, Bastia cap corse, calvi, porto, corte borgo, back to Bastia.  theres a train from bastia to Corte maybe more. One BIG warning...I did it in Sept the wild fires are extremely dangerous when youre cycling, as you cant out run them! Smoke is serious risk! You'll see the Legioneres on fire watch if fires are high risk.  otherwise brilliant, I'll go back again, loved it people very friendly.

OP crayefish 26 Jul 2022
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Haha... was waiting for that comment.  After 7 days, 600km and 11,500m, doing another 2 days cycle back isn't really on my plan.

OP crayefish 26 Jul 2022
In reply to Timy2:

Good point.  Will make sure to keep an eye out on warnings for fires... ta.

Yeah, I can imagine the driving there is pretty atrocious.  I spend a lot of time in the south of France and they all drive in the centre of the road there.  Had a few interesting descents with dodgy drivers and random loose gravel patches on corners (why do the French do this to the roads???  Its mental).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...