Garmin and Wahoo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all,

I currently cycle to work and do a few long rides at the weekends. I use a Wahoo Element Bolt while riding and have had no problems with it at all. It's connected to a speed and cadence sensor which also works fine.

My question is: if I was to buy a Garmin watch to help track some of my runs would I be able to connect the watch to the Wahoo and use it as a heart rate sensor? If so would it then all upload to Strava in one go?

Thanks

wilkesley 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Ben Taggart-Ryan:

Assuming it has bluetooth and/or Ant+ it should work fine. I have a Fenix 3 and that works. You need to go into the Wahoo app and add the sensor from you watch.

Edit: you pair it via the Wahoo not the app! 

Post edited at 11:14
 Martin W 04 Jun 2019

If you mean using the wrist-based heart rate sensor in the watch, IMO those are about as much use a chocolate teapot for training purposes.  The one in my Garmin 735 consistently reads low, and is very slow to react to changes in heart rate, compared to using the chest strap.  You might be better off getting a chest strap heart rate sensor and paring it with both the Garmin for running and the Wahoo for cycling.

wilkesley 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Martin W:

I have got a Mio Link HRM, which is wrist-based. Correlates well with my Garmin chest strap HRM and I don't need to fiddle about using Tens gel and it's much easier to fit than a chest strap. 

In reply to wilkesley:

Thanks for the answer

wilkesley 04 Jun 2019

Just to add to my point about wist HRM. It's important that the strap is done up tight to get reliable results. Probably tighter than you would wear a normal watch strap.

Martin W 05 Jun 2019
In reply to wilkesley:

I don't need to use TENS gel with my chest strap to get much more reliable readings than with the wrist-based sensor.  A bit of good old spit does the job just fine.

wilkesley 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Martin W:

Haven't used mine for a while, but I found in winter I didn't sweat enough to keep a good contact.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...