Frame geometry - Seatstay position?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 24 Jun 2019

Been looking at frames and the current trend seems to be towards having the seatstays posiitoned lower down the seat tube, whereas all my previous frames the seatstays meet at the same point as the top tube.

Anybody know what the benefits of this would be? The only thing I can think of is slightly more flex in the seat tube, but then wouldnt it be better to have a shorter seat tube and more seatpost exposed to flex?

Thanks.

Strachan 24 Jun 2019
In reply to The Potato:

More vertical compliance in the rear triangle (rear wheel can flex up and down a bit more, absorbing bumps and reducing rider fatigue), which is why you see it more on endurance-focused and 'all-road' bikes.

Post edited at 15:46
OP The Potato 24 Jun 2019
In reply to The Potato:

ah there we go, I knew there was a logical reason for it, whether it translates to real life or not it makes sense in theory

Rigid Raider 24 Jun 2019
In reply to The Potato:

It doesn't look like a sensible design to me because that low seat stay would be trying to bend the seat tube forwards but what do I know?

felt 24 Jun 2019
In reply to The Potato:

> whether it translates to real life or not it makes sense in theory

It translates to very ugly.

GrahamD 24 Jun 2019
In reply to felt:

> It translates to very ugly.

Here, here.  Whatever the merits or otherwise, dropped seat stays just don't look right.

Dave B 24 Jun 2019
In reply to Strachan:

Can also reduce drag. Get the attachment lower than the top of the wheel. 

Some newer  aero bike also do this.

Edit: clarify 

Post edited at 19:26
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jun 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Aerodynamics. 

IceKing 24 Jun 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

It's "hear hear"

Max Hangs 24 Jun 2019
In reply to IceKing:

Hear, hear

felt 24 Jun 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

> Here, here.  Whatever the merits or otherwise, dropped seat stays just don't look right.

I mean, I wouldn't.

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-timemachine-road-01-one-2019-road-bike-EV33...

felt 25 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave B:

Eugh. Not only the shape, but the horrid new font. Had two of these, this blue one and a silver 2016 model, but crashed both and both write offs. On a Trek and a Kuota now.

https://www.evanscycles.com/felt-f4-2012-road-bike-EV157823

Strachan 25 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave B:

Good point. Hadn't thought about that.

Marek 25 Jun 2019
In reply to The Potato:

The main advantage is it gives loads more room to fit flashing red lights in the hope that drivers won't run into the back of you. Doesn't work of course, 'cos you're not car-shaped, but at least you can feel you tried.

Dave B 25 Jun 2019
In reply to felt:

I don't like tri bikes to look at either. I'm not even keen on full aero road bikes . Makes me slow.. er I guess.

kevin stephens 25 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave B:

At least you can tell the rider’s a triathlete rather than a proper cyclist, not that there’s any need because they will tell you anyway...

Dave B 26 Jun 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

:-O tribalism!

Rigid Raider 26 Jun 2019
In reply to The Potato:

For the amateur rider aerodynamics matter not a jot beyond making sure you don't wear flappy loose clothes. For a pro, riding at the incredible speeds they achieve, I expect a couple of percent of reduction in drag could make quite a difference when they are all so closely matched.

Sir Chasm 26 Jun 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> For the amateur rider aerodynamics matter not a jot beyond making sure you don't wear flappy loose clothes. For a pro, riding at the incredible speeds they achieve, I expect a couple of percent of reduction in drag could make quite a difference when they are all so closely matched.

Well, that's the conventional wisdom. But it probably isn't the whole picture https://road.cc/content/feature/213876-why-riders-you-need-go-aero-wheel-we...

GrahamD 26 Jun 2019
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Still no excuse for the inelegance of dropped seat stays though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...