Flats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 30 Apr 2019

Hi

I keep getting flat tyres due to irreparable leaks where the value is. 

How can I fit a new tube to minimise this issue? When I replace the tube I take care to insert it so its not angled but it appears to shift very slightly but enough to cause small tears around the joint (valve meets tube) after some time (which varies from weeks to months but now appears inevitable)

wilkesley 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Are you sure you are using the correct tube for your wheel? Particularly the tube diameter. Sounds as if the tube is able to move about when inflated.

brendanM 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Do you have rim tape in the rim? If not, that might be worth trying. It should protect the valve stem where it passes through the rim.

Post edited at 15:58
 Jon Greengrass 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I had this problem when using cheap own brand inner tubes from a large online retailer. The problem went away when I started paying more for Continental or Schwalbe inner tubes, which cost less in the long term .

OP Flinticus 30 Apr 2019
In reply to brendanM:

Got rim tape. Thank god this is a biking forum...

OP Flinticus 30 Apr 2019
In reply to wilkesley:

I hope so! I've taken in the rim measurements to the shop when buying - using photos and also a note of the dimensions I keep on my phone. 

NorthernGrit 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Is the valve hole in the wheel overl sharp? Maybe give it a file or line with tape. You could even drill it out (very) slightly wider if it seems to be the issue.

OP Flinticus 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

The tube I have just removed is Schwalbe: 26" 40/62-559

The rim is 26" 559x17c Mach

Its always the back wheel...

gravy 30 Apr 2019

Assuming you are using clinchers (normal) rather than tubeless (if you don't know the difference then you are certainly using clinchers) then the trick is to push the valve stem a little way into the tyre (press it in from the inside of the wheel) before you bed in the outer tyre bead into the rim. 

This way the valve base is pressed onto the bead of the tyre (rather than the other way around which pinches the inner tub between the bead and rime and rubs and makes holes).

If it is always one wheel and never the other you've probably got a sharp bit somewhere - I had a wheel with a tiny little snag on the rim which I could hardly see.  After two tyres unexpected exploded I rubbed the nick down with the back of a spoon and all has been well.

Post edited at 16:19
OP Flinticus 30 Apr 2019
In reply to gravy:

Thanks. Didn't know the difference but at least I now know!

LastBoyScout 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Make sure you pump the tyre up hard enough that it can't move on the rim under heavy braking/pedalling.

When installed, the valve should point radially towards the hub - if it moves, this will start to tear it.

nniff 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

There's probably a sharp bit on the hole in the rim - a little attention with some emery or sand paper should fix it.  Using tubes with a collar around the valve will also help to stabilise it.  Finally, if you keep you tyres fashionably under-inflated then the tyre may be moving a bit on the rim, especially as it's the back tyre.  A dab of paint, tippex or other mark will give an indication, particularly if you do a lot of grinding up hill.

Dark-Cloud 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Probably the valve hole in the rim as others have said might be sharp or the rim tape might not been centred over the hole, cut a square cm of the old tube out and pop a hole in the middle then push the valve stem of the new tube through then fit as normal and it will protect the area of the tube around the valve stem

Post edited at 20:25
OP Flinticus 01 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Great idea. Some use for the old tube too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...