Etape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 28 Nov 2012
Just registered.

Anyone else in?
 tobykeep 28 Nov 2012
In reply to yorkshireman:

etape eryri?
 Hat Dude 28 Nov 2012
In reply to tobykeep:
> (In reply to yorkshireman)
>
> etape eryri?

Etape du Dales, the clue's in his name
 Guy 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Hat Dude: It just says Etape doesn't it? Quite a few of those around these days.
 ClimberEd 28 Nov 2012

hey, can you send me the link (or post). I've been trying all morning and can't find a registration form, it just keeps sending me to the tour operators page.
 andy 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Hat Dude:
> (In reply to tobykeep)
> [...]
>
> Etape du Dales, the clue's in his name

EdD entries open after christmas, so doubt it.
 Hat Dude 28 Nov 2012
In reply to andy:

It was just a jokey reply to tobykeep as the OP is "yorkshireman"
OP yorkshireman 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Guy:
> (In reply to Hat Dude) It just says Etape doesn't it? Quite a few of those around these days.

I've never understood why they all have the title. An etape is a 'stage' in a multi-stage event, and since these other rides are one-offs, and to my knowledge not part of a larger event, they're technically not etapes.

Anyway pedantry aside, since today is the long-awaited registration day, and the Etape du Tour is a fairly well known event, plus I was at work and didn't have time for a long post, I was hoping people get the gist

A fair few UKCers did last year's event (including me) so wondered how many were up for another dose of suffering (although it looks tamer this year).
In reply to Hat Dude:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> It was just a jokey reply to tobykeep as the OP is "yorkshireman"

A Yorkshireman that lives in the Alps though

Long time since I've seen a 'dale'
 Arms Cliff 28 Nov 2012
In reply to yorkshireman: Is there only one 'Act' this year? I thought Act 2 last year was the queen stage of the tour, I was looking forward to hearing about people riding up Alpe-D'Huez twice!
In reply to Arms Cliff:
> (In reply to yorkshireman) Is there only one 'Act' this year? I thought Act 2 last year was the queen stage of the tour, I was looking forward to hearing about people riding up Alpe-D'Huez twice!

Only one this year - I think there were a few no-shows last year so that might be why they've cut it back.

I'm quite glad they've made the etape an 'easier' one, since there needs to be a balance between challenge and enjoyment. After all, we're not pros and we do this for fun.
 LastBoyScout 28 Nov 2012

Hmm - I did Acte 2 this year and really enjoyed the challenge.

Wish I'd put more effort in over the Tourmalet, though - I should have been faster.

We're looking elsewhere due to it being rather "easy" next year...
 Guy 28 Nov 2012
In reply to yorkshireman: The Etape is "the" Etape all others are just being pretentious! That being said my favourite club ride is the "Tour de" Loughborough which is a nice 3hr ride! A friend did the Etape this year and said it was tough, in my mind it looked about as hard as the Marmotte which I found pretty tough especially due to the heat.

Hope you have fun on this years episode. Not sure if I will get over to the continent this year but will keep my fingers crossed I can do something.
 Enty 28 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Arms Cliff)
> [...]
>
> Only one this year - I think there were a few no-shows last year so that might be why they've cut it back.
>
>

And they keep putting it on the same weekend as the Marmotte - what do they expect.

Anyway. Have fun - I bet it's harder than it looks on paper.

E
 tobykeep 28 Nov 2012

I did guess, but really the Etape Eryri is the only one to be seen at!
 JohnnyW 29 Nov 2012

No, but I've just entered the Etape de Caledonia
 Rubbishy 29 Nov 2012

Not doing it this time around.

The boys and i have a 6 day alpine horror fest planned instead, including doing Alp D'Huez twice, as per the Tour. works out around 5,000m of climbing a day.

I can't wait

<skulks off to fake his own death>>
OP yorkshireman 29 Nov 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to yorkshireman)

> The boys and i have a 6 day alpine horror fest planned instead, including doing Alp D'Huez twice, as per the Tour. works out around 5,000m of climbing a day.

Respect. Make sure you invest in a decent pair of shorts!

I'm just a punter when it comes to cycling, so my goal is just to get through the stage and have fun, and not die.
 Guy 29 Nov 2012
In reply to John Rushby: Look forward to hearing your planned route. 5000m per day for 6 days is seriously heavy.
 Enty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Guy:
> (In reply to John Rushby) Look forward to hearing your planned route. 5000m per day for 6 days is seriously heavy.

Me too. You're so gonna die Rubbishy!!

E
 Rubbishy 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Guy & Enty & Yorkshireman:

I will indeed die, and I will be hoping Santa has been to Assos this year....

correction - it is now 5 days and this is the itinerary put together by my mate John

Sat 13th July - DAY 1 - Beaufort, Albertville, Col de la Madeleine, St Michel de Maurienne, Col de Telegraph, OVERNIGHT in Valloire (133km)

Mon 14th July - DAY 2 - Valloire, Col de Galibier, Briancon, Col de Izoard, Guillestre, Embrun, OVERNIGHT in Gap (163km)

Tues 15th July - DAY 3 - Tour de France Stage 18 Gap to Alpe d'Huez to Alpe d'Huez (yes - you climb the mythical 21 hairpins twice which means passing our hotel and knowing you have 50km further and another ascent of the Alp to go!!!!!) OVERNIGHT in AdH or Bd'O dependent on availability (168km)

Wed 16th July DAY 4 - Tour de France Stage 19 - Bourg d'Oisans to Le Grand Bornand (my Birthday!!). This is going to be one tough day after the 42 hairpins of AdH! OVERNIGHT in Grand Bornand. (204km)

Thurs 17th July - Day 5 - Le Grand Bornand, Col des Aravis, Col des Saisies OVERNIGHT Beaufort. A short day but still with two cols which after my b'day celebrations could be tough! (53.3km)
 Enty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

Yip yer gonna die!

On the ADH stage the Col d'Ornon is not to be sniffed at - hope you get a tail wind. We did it in September and on the false flat on the lower slopes we were doing 8kmh (

E
 Rubbishy 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

I intend to head out to your's prior for a training camp prior.

You can pretend to be Shane Sutton and poke me in the gut with a stick, while telling me I'm a fat foocker.
 Guy 29 Nov 2012
In reply to John Rushby: Which way are you going to go to le Grand Bornand? Glandon, Madeleine, Collet de Tamie, Croix Fry? That is a huge day. Btw the Collet de Tamie from Albertville to Faverges is a lovely little Col that still takes a while to climb. You could miss it out and just head along the valley but that is a bit soul destroying. It is a similar day to our day 3 but we stopped in Faverges and that was quite enough thank you!
 Swirly 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: There are a lot of good things about the Col d'Ornon. It was the first col I ever got up without stopping although I did it from the BdO side.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...