End of the road for Froomey ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 09 Jul 2020

Chris Froome to leave Ineos after team decide not to renew contract - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/53112149

I guess this is likely to be the end of it for Chris Froome at the top table, but a bit of a sad way to be bowing out IMO.

Ben Callard 09 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

I can't see any new team putting a strong enough team together to challenge for GC in the next few years. It'd be a shame to see Froome scrapping for stage wins. 

bouldery bits 09 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

I think so. I can't see a new start up getting to grips with winning GC's quickly and, at 36 and recovering from a grim injury, I can't see Froomey hanging around long enough to benefit if the team ever gets it right. 

They haven't yet announced any other signings. I might be wrong - maybe they have made huge moves behind the scenes - but I don't think the new team will be properly competitive from the off.

A shame really.

Brailsford looks to have played it well. Again.

Ben Callard 09 Jul 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

The team dynamics in the 2020 tour (if it happens) will be interesting to watch. 

daftdazza 09 Jul 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

It's a big team, been around a while, wealthy owners, lots of ambition,and already have good climbers such as Dan Martin, and I am sure they will recruit more with Froomes arrival next year.

Has to be a positive for Froome, tour de France long term looks to be out the question with Bernal set to dominate for years, but Giro and Vuelta are weaker tours and I sure Frome could win another of each if he targeted them.  

He probably wishes he made the move a year earlier as would have benefited him this year but I guess his contract was too much of a stumbling block for him to leave early.

abr1966 10 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Interesting!! He's getting on but is definitely not past it....I could see Froome putting a spanner in the plans of Ineos once in a while....

OP GrahamD 10 Jul 2020
In reply to abr1966:

I'm thinking Jumbo Visma will be the main spanner in the Ineos works ! This years TDF will be interesting. 

JLS 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben Callard:

I wonder if they'll actually now take him to the Tour.

Seem to me there's a high risk he'll go rouge and ride his own race...

nniff 10 Jul 2020
In reply to JLS:

> Seem to me there's a high risk he'll go rouge and ride his own race...

What and ride the Vuelta?

Post edited at 14:45
 GravitySucks 10 Jul 2020
In reply to JLS:

All that pedalling makes me go red in the face as well

OP GrahamD 10 Jul 2020
In reply to JLS:

> I wonder if they'll actually now take him to the Tour.

I don't think anything has changed, has it ? It's been pretty well known he's been going to move on for a few months.  I'd be surprised if, assuming his training numbers are there, they don't take him.  He could still win it for Ineos.

The New NickB 10 Jul 2020
In reply to JLS:

Got to be a unique situation, having the last three winners of the race in one team.

felt 10 Jul 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

An interesting point. Antonin Magne, André Leducq and Georges Speicher won consecutive TdFs for France from 1931-33 for the France team. Not sure if they all apeared in the 1933 team.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...