Easton EA90 SLX wheel set replacement, any suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm looking for a wheel set to replace Easton EA90 SLX wheels. The current wheel set have been out of action for over a year, waiting for a spoke replacement on each wheel. Apparently the specific spokes are no longer made.

Don't know whether to stick with alloy or move to carbon wheels. The bike they will go on is a 2012 Pinarello Paris with Campag Chorus group set. The brakes are rim brakes and the EA90s were for clincher tyres.

The EA90s weighed in at 1400g for the set and were in the £900 to £1000 price range.

Having not looked at wheels since buying those in 2012 I'd really appreciate any suggestions as to what to consider

LastBoyScout 08 Feb 2023
In reply to Colin Scotchford:

On rim brakes, I'd personally stick with alu rims.

However, I've got Campag Bullet carbon wheels on my best bike with Chorus groupset - they have alu brake tracks for rim brakes and take clincher tyres. Can't remember if they are the 2-way fit that also takes tubeless.

I'd avoid Mavic wheels, for the reasons you describe with Easton.

Toby_W 08 Feb 2023

I love the dura ace C24s, lighter than the slx, pretty aero for the rim depth, good bearings.  I’ve had several sets now and you can get the cheaper than 900 in the sales, I’ve never paid more than 600 but got my last set second hand.

Cheers

Toby

LastBoyScout 09 Feb 2023

Got this from PlanetX thsi morning - includes rim brake options:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/wheels-and-tyres/wheels/selcof-carbon-wheels/...

kevin stephens 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Colin Scotchford: Have you considered hand built?

In reply to kevin stephens:

No, I hadn't considered handbuilt. Would you have any suggestions in that direction?

In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Given me some good points and direction.

kevin stephens 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Colin Scotchford: i would just investigate who is near to you with a good reputation and discus your requirements. I haven’t tried hand built myself but will do when my Cero AR30 wheels wear our

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...