E-bike question 1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 14 Aug 2019

Santa came early for Mrs Wilko and she received a Ribble E-bike with an Ebikemotion motor. This has a single control button with indicator light on the top tube. This needs looking at while riding, which is a hazard. It is also impossible to go back from higher to lower degrees of assistance (you have to cycle through the whole sequence). I have heard a rumour that some E-bikes have a control for the different levels of electrical assistance on the handlebars, and if this is true I'd like to know if this can be retrofitted.

In case you're wondering why I don't ask the people at Ribble Cycles - (i) they don't answer emails; (ii) if you are lucky enough to get anyone to pick up the phone it usually seems to be a school leaver who knows nothing about anything; (iii) I'm trying to see if I can avoid half a day on the M6 getting to and from Preston.

There are more questions coming! 

In reply to Rog Wilko:

You'll probably get a decent answer here https://www.emtbforums.com/community/

GridNorth 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have an e-mountain bike fitted with a Bosch motor and associated controls. The two go together. The controller is a small screen with an on/off button and a "+" and "-" button to select modes.  These modes are Eco, Trail, EMTB and Turbo which give different degrees of assistance.  The motor for my bike is fitted to the bottom bracket area and not to the hub.  This together with the make of the motor may have some bearing on what you can and can't do. I can retro fit higher spec control units to my bike if I so wish.

Al

balmybaldwin 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Their blurb implies you can get an App on your phone to connect to the bike, you may get power controls in that (and you can mount phone on handlebars?

Post edited at 21:15
baron 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The Ribble quick connection guide shows a separate level assist changer as an option.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/media/pdf/quick_guide_connection_mount.pdf

Unfortunately I have no idea where you can buy it.

OP Rog Wilko 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks for replies, all.

Carpe Diem 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've got the Bianchi with the same system - agree about not being able to cycle down throuught the  modes - but have not found it a major issue . 

As regards havinng to look at it being a hazard, i'd suggest looking at a your Garmin or similar is more of a distraction . and with only 3 modes , its not to taxing to remember what mode you are

It is emensly enjoyable riding with it though - I was tempted to get the SLE ( already own a R872 ) but was lured by the Bianchi. 

Have you been on the SLE? Whats your view on the way it rolls and rides?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...