E-bike puncture repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 24 May 2020

Well as the thread. Got one in the rear wheel today and it looks a nightmare to fix as the wheel will have to be removed. To fix this away from the garage and tools looks impossible or am I being too negative. I only had the basic puncture repair kit and small hand-pump. 

Is it possible to get roadside assistance from the AA or similar? Fixing this on a normal bike is usually easy but I did have a lacerated tyre in the Lakes recently when 20 miles from home, that meant a complete new tyre & tube. Perhaps I'm just unlucky!

Post edited at 17:39
 Neil Williams 24 May 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Can't it be repaired (patched using the kit) by popping the tyre off and pulling the tube out where the puncture is without removing the wheel?

Dutch bikes have a similar issue, by the way.

Post edited at 17:47
In reply to Sean Kelly:

With my mid motor ebikes I’ve never had a problem. Just as easy as any rear puncture and I’ve had plenty due to thorns! No idea about hub driven e bikes, sorry.

What type of e bike do you have?

Depending on your ebike, say mt bikes particularly, are you using ebike specific tyres? A lot of mt tyres are not rated for the combined weight of rider and e bike. On a previous mt e bike the manufacturer supplied tyres were barely able to cope and I had frequent punctures until I replaced with e bike rate ones. 

Best of all, go tubeless.  With e bike rated tyres and tubeless I’ve only had one (glass related) puncture stop me. Prior to that I could have 6 punctures in a couple of weeks during hedge cutting season.

Post edited at 17:54
 jbrom 24 May 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I assume we are not talking about a normal pedal assist e-bike, as they just have a standard back wheel set up. Is this a powered back wheel set up or aftermarket kit?

If it is just a standard rear wheel set up then carrying a tyre boot would possibly help with the the tyre laceration issue. Enough to get you home anyway, when I was a cheapskate I used to carry a cut up toothpaste tube for this purpose. There are roadside bodges you can do to, loads of ideas online.

OP Sean Kelly 24 May 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Bike is a Raleigh Array, with the motor in the wheel hub a bit like the old sturmrey archer gears. Reading online they were talking about chain tensioning and having the bike up on a rack. Just to add to my problems, the bike support lever also sheared the attached screws and fell off. Bit on a trial today really.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

elsewhere 24 May 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

A strange non circular inner tube does exist for such occasions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaadi-Bicycle-Inner-Tube-available/dp/B01CYC5RM2

Post edited at 19:57
 Basemetal 24 May 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Can't it be repaired (patched using the kit) by popping the tyre off and pulling the tube out where the puncture is without removing the wheel?

> Dutch bikes have a similar issue, by the way.

This. You might need to put some air in to find the leak hissing, but if it isn't the valve and you're happy with a patch repair rather than a new tube it's the way to go.

thepodge 25 May 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I just googled it and it looks like a normal rear wheel removal to me. It's got a rear mech so can't see why you'd need any chain tensioning. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...