Dubh slabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OP 65 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Oh, I hadn't seen that Dan. Thanks.

crayefish 29 Jan 2021
In reply to 65:

Very well produced video, but to be honest, I've seen a fair few videos of people charging down stuff steeper than that on proper DH bikes.  Felt a bit slow... have I been desensitised?

OP 65 29 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Maybe. It's the zero-tolerance aspect of this that makes it riveting. Lots of sections where getting it wrong is only going to end one way, and it's a long way to sustain that intensity of concentration. Failing on the DH videos usually just ends up with bruises and broken collarbones/ribs/wrists etc. 

Phil Lyon 29 Jan 2021
In reply to 65:

As impressive as I know this is in real life, and although the camera work is exceptional, it still feels at times like when I take a climbing photo of a slabby route. When I look back expecting it to look amazing and the photo has just tamed it.

Ridge 29 Jan 2021
In reply to Phil Lyon:

> As impressive as I know this is in real life, and although the camera work is exceptional, it still feels at times like when I take a climbing photo of a slabby route. When I look back expecting it to look amazing and the photo has just tamed it.

I think there's a similar issue with the use of go-pro footage from the helmet camera. Go-pros seem, for some reason I don't understand related to the field of view, to 'flatten out' steep terrain.

Edit: The footage still scared the hell out of me.

Post edited at 11:32
OP 65 29 Jan 2021
In reply to Ridge:

I find that with a lot of GoPro/headcam footage, especially of people on sharp ridges, the extreme wide angle massively exaggerates the sense of exposure.

Ridge 29 Jan 2021
In reply to 65:

That too. The Red Bull MTB race stuff makes it look like they're on a 3 inch wide track with a 400 foot drop each side.

I think on terrain like the slabs it hasthe opposite effect for some reason.

Donotello 29 Jan 2021
In reply to 65:

Meh. One scary bit.

crayefish 29 Jan 2021
In reply to 65:

I guess.  But there are some pretty impressive videos that have come up on my Instagram feed of folks doing high speed routes along little cliff edge paths (wall one side, drop the other) where any fall is certain desth, rather than just a few broken bones.

So many extreme things going on these days that its hard to impress now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...