Cycle touring in Suffolk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 03 Aug 2018

Planning a 4-5 day tour arounf suffolk in early September......usually aim for 50'ish miles per day give or take and nothing too strenuous.

Any suggestions of good places to go, see, stay...drink?

Thanks

JEF 03 Aug 2018
In reply to abr1966:

I spent a week on a cycling tour in May but didn’t think much of the Lowestoft area or Great Yarmouth (aggressive drivers there).

If it’s any help I really enjoyed Potter Heigham and Hickling Broad if Norfolk is a possibility for you. 

The English Whisky Distillery was a good morning’s visit and Norwich has a Castle, museum and cathedral if that’s your thing.

John

Post edited at 19:35
 nr 04 Aug 2018
In reply to abr1966:

The ride out across the county to Dunwich is lovely. There's a good pub there for lunch and a pint too. Bits around Newmarket are surprisingly Not Flat. Bury St. Edmunds is a nice place to waste an afternoon wandering around the Abbey Gardens [1] and the old parts of town. The coast is a great place to go if it's too hot inland, but the roads around there aren't great. Maybe it's just me, but I always seem to end up on the A12, unless I plan a route carefully. Bits off the beaten track around Long Melford/Glemsford/Clare tend to be pretty quiet, and there are some lovely little villages, such as Cavendish to stop and have lunch in the pub on the village green.

And on no condition, go to Haverhill. At all.

[1] The same garden as in the Nick Cave song, Gates to the Garden. 

spidermonkey09 04 Aug 2018
In reply to abr1966:

I grew up in Suffolk and would recommend:

-Dunwich. The Ship pub in particular.

-Walberswick. Nice beach and more good pubs.

- southwold and albeburgh are nice, good fish and chips in aldeburgh , but much more touristy than the above. 

-framlingham. The castle is great and lots of good cafes.

-woodbridge. Really nice town by the river.

Enjoy! Very flat so should be easy cycling.

James Malloch 04 Aug 2018
In reply to abr1966:

We're planning a trip there too going between the English Champagne vineyards. So there are plenty of those to visit if it's your thing!

Ramblin dave 04 Aug 2018
In reply to abr1966:

We found the coast down from Southwold lovely - beautiful coastline, some great pubs, loads of quiet routes particularly if you're okay with occasional farm tracks and suchlike. In summer, there are quite a lot of passenger ferries across the various little estuaries that'll also take bikes.

Further inland, the White Horse at Edwardstone is a nice pub in a pretty village, with great beer and an in-situ campsite.

OP abr1966 06 Aug 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Thanks everyone...

Newbuild100 26 Aug 2018
In reply to abr1966:

I have just come back from there, yesterday actually. Coming from Lincolnshire, I thought most days how very corteous the drivers were down there in Suffolk and Norfolk. G.

Yarmouth was nuts and ttooooo much traffic but apart from that I enjoyed it a lot. (I started in Essex in Maldon and wormed my way up the coast, using the little ferries where I could)

Yes, Potter Heigham was pleasant as was Alderboro'. Lots of nice coastal pubs too

I did over 400 miles in 6 days and today I am feeling very tired !!!!!!! (Too much for a guy approaching his late 50's me thinks !

Have fun whatever you do

earlsdonwhu 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Newbuild100:

Did you camp? Did you find plenty of sites?

Newbuild100 26 Aug 2018
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

No, I used AirB/B for a couple of nights and the hostel at Blaxhall (Very good and good grub too) and then treat myself to Travelodge in kings Lynn after the longest day (all prebooked by the way)

earlsdonwhu 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Newbuild100:

Thanks. There are lots of areas that lack the mountains and crags associated with UKC but are great for cycle tours.

Post edited at 19:49
 GrahamD 27 Aug 2018
In reply to abr1966:

A few places I like in Suffolk on a bike are: Road east West below Newmarket and up to Moulton hill. The ride from Clare to Bury st Edmunds. Low man pub at Laxfield. Lavenham. Roads around West Stow. Road down the coast to Felixstowe taking in two little foot ferry crossings. Ship at Dunwich. Harbour inn Southwold.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...