Creaking cassette

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 daftdazza 02 Jul 2020

Hi,

I put a brand new cassette on a brand new wheel, managed to index the gears nicely but taking the bike around block I noticed a annoying loud creaking noise coming from the cassette when I pedal.  I didn't lube the spines before putting the cassette on the freehub body, is this likely to source of creak?  Frustratingly I have put the cassette on too tight and can't remove it, I have damaged knuckles from using my cheap decathlon chain whip, any tips of removing a tight cassette? I guess I will probably have to buy some good quality park tools or take it to a local bike shop 

Thanks in advance.

Yanis Nayu 02 Jul 2020
In reply to daftdazza:

I don’t think it’ll be the source of your creak. I’ve never lubed the splines when I’ve fitted a cassette, but maybe that’s wrong. Always check qr first for creaks. 

kevin stephens 02 Jul 2020
In reply to daftdazza:

Spokes?

AndyC 02 Jul 2020
In reply to daftdazza:

Did you miss out a spacer before you put the cassette on the hub?

OP daftdazza 02 Jul 2020

I will re lube the through axle tomorrow, don't think it's the spokes as only making noise when I pedal.  I had just been out on 3 hour mountain bike ride on old rear wheel, came home and set up and installed the new rear wheel, and soon as I pedal creak, don't get the sound in all gears, just strange as noise was not there before.  I don't think it's bottom bracket as thats recently been replaced.

OP daftdazza 02 Jul 2020
In reply to AndyC:

Definitely put in the plastic ten speed spacer before I installed the cassette.

Myfyr Tomos 02 Jul 2020
In reply to daftdazza:

If you stick a biro in one spool and rewind it back to the start, give it a few hefty whacks, it should be fine.

Ah...   Not that type of cassette!

balmybaldwin 02 Jul 2020
In reply to daftdazza:

could well be the spokes... but only under torsion (i.e. when you apply power) do you get any creaking when braking gently?

could try a touch of lithium grease or vascaline (sp?) on the spoke cross over points

Dave Cundy 02 Jul 2020
In reply to balmybaldwin:

You beat me to it.  Took me a couple of years to suss this out on my Miche wheels.  Being new, they might be very dry/clean, so lob a bit of grease on there, or even chain lube.

nniff 03 Jul 2020
In reply to daftdazza:

Do the rear QR up tighter. I have a beautiful hand-built stainless steel bike, with Dura-ace, and Chris King hubs in hand-built wheels, which creaks like an old steam engine if the rear QR isn't done up really tight.

OP daftdazza 16 Jul 2020

Thanks for all the advice, I think the creaking was coming from the worn 1 X front chain ring, only part I hadn't replaced.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...