Crank Repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cobra_Head 28 Feb 2021

My pedal has fallen off!!

No warning at all simply a floppy right-hand pedal

It's on a Shimano Deore and a replacement new one is £100+.

At this price I was going to have ago at fitting a repair bush myself, but have found a place that does them for £20, cheaper than the bits and tap to fit a bush!

Has anyone any experience of bushes and their efficacy /  longevity.

Cheers.

robert-hutton 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

I had one done on some sram red cranks, by a guy in Nottingham, was ok for six months then bust, think if you live somewhere flat it would be a ok fix but anywhere hilly it's a pointless, I would ask if anyone has a left side crank arm on Facebook or UKC.

gethin_allen 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Are you talking about getting a thread insert like a helicoil fitted? 

They are well used and a very established product. For £20 you haven't got a huge amount to lose. I'd go for it.

OP Cobra_Head 28 Feb 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Are you talking about getting a thread insert like a helicoil fitted? 

> They are well used and a very established product. For £20 you haven't got a huge amount to lose. I'd go for it.

It's very similar but slightly different AFIAK, I think I will try it, like you say £20, it's worth a go.

There's tool kit I've seen which is like a long tapered tap which reams out the hole, at the end of the tool there's a conventional tap, which cuts the new thread and the fact it's long and just cut a new hole everything is kept square to the crank, a new thread insert is screwed in, loctited,  and the pedal then screws into that.

robert-hutton 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Some left crank arms on eBay one new at £33 ono

Post edited at 18:55
OP Cobra_Head 02 Mar 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

> Some left crank arms on eBay one new at £33 ono

Cheers, I did have a look, but mine the RHS

OP Cobra_Head 02 Mar 2021
In reply to gethin_allen and Thread:

after emailing the company that advertise for £20, and getting no reply, I thought I'd try a local, on my way to work, bike shop.

They wanted £20 to look at it, and couldn't give me a ball park figure, and earliest date was 16th March!!

So I eventually found a web site that sold the reamer / threader on line, but because of fookin Brexit are no longer delivering to the UK

Much searching again and I found a web site that looked English and ordered the reamer, tried to get the inserts on the same site, but they wanted £40 I think this was for 10 but it didn't say, of course I only need one!

https://www.deporvillage.net/unior-right-pedal-reamer-and-tap-58x24

https://www.deporvillage.net/unior-left-pedal-thread-insert-916x20

When I paid for it, expecting UK and courier service I thought it would be here in a few days (I didn't check, I know!!).

Turns out these are a Spanish company, and delivery is round about 10 days

Round in circles again to find the insert, which I'd found the day before on the office computer and I'm WFH now for another week!

Eventually found them below!! Bit was £4.99 and postage £3.50

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-pe04703-helicoil-bush-for-pedals-58-x...

So all in all I've now spent nearly £50 and still need to do work and wait!!

Anyhow, if anyone need their right crank reaming, I know bloke who might be able to help you out, soon.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how it goes.

J1234 04 Mar 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

These people repaired my helical https://www.tartybikes.co.uk

I called in but I think they do Mail order.

Nice people.

PS I had buggered mine up by winding the pedals in on the wrong side. 

Post edited at 19:14
 RX-78 05 Mar 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Saint John street cycles is always worth checking out for things like these. A long established shop with millions of items, many hard to get elsewhere.

OP Cobra_Head 05 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

> PS I had buggered mine up by winding the pedals in on the wrong side. 

That must have taken some doing, blimey!!

OP Cobra_Head 05 Mar 2021
In reply to RX-78:

> Saint John street cycles is always worth checking out for things like these. A long established shop with millions of items, many hard to get elsewhere.

That's one of the links above

That's where I got the inserts from £4.99 each!

Strangely, I thought I'd look at the cost of their (Unior's) tap wrench, I have a couple at work but not sure if they're big enough. Anyhow, during the search for this, which was very expensive £33+ I found UK stocks of the reamer tool and the inserts at slightly cheaper, but obviously quicker delivery than from Spain Which I'm still waiting for!

OP Cobra_Head 09 Mar 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Cheers, everyone.

Quick update, tool arrived yesterday and reamed and threaded the old crank while still on the bike, it was a bit awkward and took quite a bit of force to get it through i.e. a 12" adjustable and plenty of lube.

I had a large tap wrench but not one big enough, this would have made things easier I think.

Anyhow, shove the reamer/tap through the existing hole, put the bush on the pedal, thread lock on the exposed threads of the crank part and screw it in, all relatively painless.

I had more trouble fitting an inner tube, which Halfords had supplied the wrong size and I didn't notice until I'd fitted it into the wheel and the wheel into the bike!!

Always check first.

I'll up date, if things change.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...