Circle of death Pyrennes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 20 May 2019

I would like to cycle the Circle of death in the Pyrennes this summer but am having some difficulty with the logistics. From what I can make out the best plan seems to be fly to Toulouse. Train to Bagneres de Luchon. Pick up hire bike and head over the 4 cols. I plan to do the ride in a single day and whilst there's a lot of climbing, over 5000 metres, it's only just over 100 miles to Pau. This is where my problems start. I then need to return to Bagneres, preferably the same day as I don't intend to carry any gear with me other than essentials.

Does anyone have any experience of this trip going from east to west and if so can you offer any insights into the best way to tackle the non cycling part of the journey. Thanks in advance.

65 20 May 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

Check about the service between Montréjeau and Luchon. I've never seen a train on that line and have always had to use a SNCF bus, and I'm not sure about how late it runs. Also check that you can get your bike onto the bus at Montréjeau, though unless it is unusually busy you should be fine. The alternative is to ride the Voie Verte back to Luchon which I suspect your legs may baulk at after a day like that.

LastBoyScout 20 May 2019

Pau to Bagneres du Luchon was the route of the 2012 Etape du Tour, taking in the cols of Aubisque, Soulor, Tourmalet, Aspin and Peyresourde - that was 200km. It's a pretty big day out, given the hills, and you will be shagged arriving in Pau.

Apologies for stating the obvious, but even if it's roasting in the valleys, it can turn pretty cold at the summits and the wind chill coming down at speed on a sweaty body is potentially dangerous - one of our party was the last to finish that year and was nearly hospitalised with hypothermia.

Pau has a good station, but I'm afraid I don't have a clue about the trains from it.

The Tourmalet also featured in the Pau-Hautacam 2016 edition - had 2 days of blistering sunshine followed by emailed weather warnings and a miserable ride over it in drizzle!

Incidentally, an ex colleague was a native of Pau and couldn't believe anyone would want to cycle over the Tourmalet once, let alone twice

Gone for good 21 May 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks for the reply. I dont think the Col de Soulor is part of the Circle of death but it's a big day out nevertheless. I'll be prepared for most eventualities including the fickle weather. It looks like I'll need to plan a night in Pau before returning to Bagneres.   

Gone for good 21 May 2019
In reply to 65:

Ha. My head would explode at the thought of riding back. I'll check out the bus service.  Thank you for the information.

65 21 May 2019

You'll go over the Soulor en route to the Aubisque. It has some steep ramps but it's ok, nothing compared to the Tourmalet. You don't lose much height on the section between it and the Aubisque. This section is particularly scenic and goes along an exposed bit of road with a few galleries/open tunnels; mind the surface in these as they can be uncharacteristically rough.

Keep your wits about you on the descent of the Aubisque, you'll be tired and it's very long and very fast. 100kmh+ possible after Gourette.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...