Cheddar and Ebbor Gorges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cusco 03 Dec 2022

Hi

Does anyone have any gpx or similar for any good cycle routes which climb up both gorges? 

I’m just thinking of a nice day out once we get through winter and it’s a bit warmer as somewhere a bit different from my usual routes. 

C

petegunn 04 Dec 2022
In reply to Cusco:

Not much help but if your on the road bike make sure to climb Draycott Hill up to the airfield, a proper little leg burner that one, starting just outside Cheddar.

Not sure mtb is allowed in Ebbor Gorge but there are some bridleways which obviously is all good.

Brass Nipples 04 Dec 2022
In reply to Cusco:

Use cycle.travel and plot away 

Matt Podd 04 Dec 2022
In reply to Cusco:

An OS map may help?

OP Cusco 05 Dec 2022
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks Pete. That looks like a fun leg burner.

OP Cusco 05 Dec 2022
In reply to Matt Podd:

I’m not local so was wondering whether any Mendip or Somerset cyclists had any recommended routes which head up the gorges. I’ve climbed at Cheddar many times and seen cyclists heading up and it’s something I’d like to do in 2023. 

But thanks for your advice. 

Uluru 07 Dec 2022
In reply to Cusco:

If you're on Strava look up the Cheddar Gorge segment then you will see lots of the routes which people have taken to get there. You can then use those as a basis for your ride. 

Dr.S at work 07 Dec 2022
In reply to Cusco:

From Cheddar:

up the gorge, head along to priddy then on to the hunters, turn right and descend to wells.

back roads to Wookey hole, and up deer leap ( the road by Ebbor gorge). 
get back to priddy, turn left, descend to west bury -sub-mendip. Head towards Draycott, up Draycott ‘steep’ past the glider club. Turn left and down the gorge back to cheddar.

all three climbs and sensible descents. If you have a pint each time in Priddy, and one at the Hunters you will go well. Finish with a Curry in Cheddar.

OP Cusco 07 Dec 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Hi Dr S

That’s great. Just what I was after and sounds like some good leg burning before another encounter with the Sidmouth Double and increased hillage for the Dartmoor Classic 2023. 

C

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...