Chainring wear on new bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 smbnji 01 Apr 2020

Hi all! 

I'm new to road cycling and picked up an 2019 Allez Sport a few weeks ago. After a few rides I've noticed that the paint on the teeth of the front two chain rings has worn/rubbed away - it's a Shimano Sora chainring like this https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-sora-3500-3503-9-speed-chainring-EV2026... and the black teeth are now half silver!

I've been very careful to avoid cross-chaining (not using the largest rear gear with the large chainring and vice-versa with the small), is this expected wear and tear, or something to be concerned about? I'd take it to the bike shop and ask the mechanic but....

Thanks!

Run_Ross_Run 01 Apr 2020
In reply to smbnji:

I have the same on my Jamis Renegade with ultegra groupset. I thought it was par for the course that it would wear. Had it on my orbea road bike too. 

I'll keep an eye on this thread as maybe it isn't. 

Fruitbat 01 Apr 2020
In reply to smbnji:

Although I haven't seen it, I'd be fairly confident in saying that it's purely cosmetic and nothing to worry about I.e. the paint/anodizing has worn, just as you said.

It sounds as if you're doing the right things by avoiding cross-chaining, which is something that moat people aren't aware of. The chainrings should have quite a long life; the chain is the item that wear first, followed by the cassette which means you change the cheaper parts more often then the pricier ones.

Happy for you to DM me a photo if you want a bit more reassuring.

Post edited at 15:56
In reply to smbnji:

It's just black paint or anodising. It was never going to last in the face of the wear exerted by a chain. It's normal.

nniff 01 Apr 2020
In reply to smbnji:

What WJW said - perfectly normal. 

There are two main schools of thought on cross-chaining (I surprise myself sometimes!).  Shimano say no, and Campag and SRAM say it doesn't matter.  Personally, I go with the theory that if it's not making an ugly noise, it's fine.  Which means that I cross-chain with Shimano, which is probably on a par with running across a Japanese gravel garden in big boots, but then again I don't put out as much power as Thomas de Gent, who broke Zwift yesterday

OP smbnji 01 Apr 2020
In reply to nniff:

Thanks for the reassurance everyone - guess I'm just a bit worried about immediately trashing my new bike! Have to say, I didn't realise road cycling was as much fun as it is, probably helped by the nice quiet roads at the moment.

Dark-Cloud 01 Apr 2020
In reply to smbnji:

Totally normal, just the anodising (or paint on cheaper kit) wearing off.

Dave B 01 Apr 2020
In reply to nniff:

My reading was that campag say, try to avoid, but we understand that it happens, especially in races.

Shimano is a definite 'no'. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...