Chain drop?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 28 Dec 2019

On a mtb, what causes chain drop - is it excessive movement in the lower part of the chain or the upper?

Im looking at fitting a chain guide but not sure whether to go upper, lower or both.

(dont want to go down the route of a clutch mech and already have a n/w chainring)

Thanks.

Post edited at 13:59
 finc00 28 Dec 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Normally bounces off the top of the chain ring, so I'd go for a top guide. Planet X do cheap ones if you have ISCG-05 tabs.

King prawn 28 Dec 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Worth checking the narrow-wide chainring. My last one wore to narrow-narrow and kept dropping chains. A new chainring and changing to singlespeed has fixed the issue

Schmiken 29 Dec 2019
In reply to The Potato:

A new N/W chainring should sort it and a clutch mech will definitely help. I'd put on a new mech before faffing with guides.

OP The Potato 29 Dec 2019

Thanks, final thought - would a 10sp chain retain better than a 9sp one, thinking about the chain width

Monk 29 Dec 2019
In reply to The Potato:

I didn't think 9 and 10 speed chains were compatible, but could be wrong. I know you said you didn't want to get a clutch mech, but that's definitely the way to stop chain drop on anything less than the most severe terrain. 

OP The Potato 29 Dec 2019
In reply to Monk:

It's working fine on my road bike

Doesn't answer my question though

OP The Potato 31 Dec 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Kind of found the answer now through absolute black website

They say to use a 10sp chain with a 9sp setup, sorted, ordered some kmc x10.73 chains

eeoneiwish 02 Jan 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Make sure the chain is the right length, a slightly too long chain caused me problems a few years back. I took out two links and bingo, no more problems. Also, on the gnarly descents, just click up a couple or three gears. I now have a 1x12 system and when I forget to go up a gear or two at the start, the chain inevitably drops off before the bottom of the descent. Dunno if that's any help, maybe just my set up?

OP The Potato 03 Jan 2020
In reply to eeoneiwish:

Thats what i do too when possible stay in the larger half of the cassette. 

Thanks for suggestion on chain length pretty sure it's right though, I'll try the 10sp chain when I get it and update.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...