Buying Shimano Di 2 questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 24 Jul 2022

A bit rambling but bare with .( actual question is at the ends if you get bored )

I have zero experience of electronic shifting . 

I’m going to re build and upgrade an old ish cannondale carbon frame . At the moment it’s hung in the shed of doom unloved . It has worn out 105 at the moment , with several bits missing that have been taken off / re used . I m going to get it resprayed and any work that it needs done by the carbon doctor ( see previous thread ) . 
I just missed a full set of ultegra di 2 on eBay because I messaged the seller in the morning and then didn’t check my message until later in the day . It was unused and had been taken off a new bike , so looked ideal . To my eyes it had “ everything “ , all the obvious bits but also battery , lots of cables , various connectors.  It sold for £980 and I would have been happy at £1100.  
I’m just looking again . There are several sets of ultegra that all look a bit knackered / worn and also not as complete as the one above and are all more money .
There is however a couple of durace sets that are just the normal components but none of the associated gubins  . ( cables , connectors , batteries )

this doesn’t make sense / to me  . I can understand going from ultegra to durace on a new bike but surely the sensible thing would be to keep all the gubins ? But if getting rid / upgrading durace what’s happened to the gubins ?

so .. … if I buy a di2 durace group set that has all the components but no gubins ….about how much will the battery , charger , cables  . Connectors cost ? 

Dark-Cloud 24 Jul 2022
In reply to mike123:

The gubbins bits are surprisingly expensive, especially cables, easiest thing to do would be to price it up from Merlin etc.

Also i'm sure you know but frames are normally designed with electronic shifting in mind for cable routing etc, so retrofitting to an old frame may work but will be a pain to cable.

LCWatson 24 Jul 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Could avoid the horrors of cabling and hiding batteries by going with Sram's AXS stuff but assuming that it's an old bike with rim brakes, it may be hard to find any at a non-extortionate price. (I haven't ever looked though)

Dark-Cloud 25 Jul 2022
In reply to LCWatson:

Yeah wireless a better option on an old frame for sure but the OP is specific in Di2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...