Brompton - clicking sound

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lone 19 Mar 2020

Hi

I have a Brompton and I hear a clicking/clunking sound when I push the peddles. If its an issue with bearings how difficult are they to replace ?

any idea's ?

Thanks

L

malk 19 Mar 2020
In reply to lone:

have you seen this?  https://www.brompton.com/About-Us/BB-Checker-Consumer

easy enough to replace with the right tools. i had a clicking (not clunking) sound from my square taper bottom bracket recently which has gone after removing, cleaning and refitting crankarms- the bb was ok..

Post edited at 10:50
 MonkeyPuzzle 19 Mar 2020
In reply to lone:

I have that but it's my ankle.

Yanis Nayu 19 Mar 2020
In reply to lone:

If it’s got wheel skewers I take those out, clean them and the drop-outs on the frame and put them back a little tighter. 

Rigid Raider 19 Mar 2020
In reply to lone:

Can easily be a pedal as well. 

Dave Cundy 19 Mar 2020
In reply to lone:

Turn the bike upside down, resting on the handlebars and seat.  Stand astride the bike and pedal with your hands, trying to push downwards with both hands as you pedal.  This willl load the bottom bracket without putting load into either the chainrings or the rear wheel (which can also be a source of clicking).  If the BB has gone, you should be able to feel it  (i.e. if it's not silky smooth).

I've had this problem with a crappy old bike and a super cheap BB.

I've also had clicks from a) a chainring bolt which had worked loose and b) a loose rear spoke which rubbed against another under slight wheel distortion.  Both gave once-per-rev clicks ( rather than click-clunks).

graeme jackson 19 Mar 2020
In reply to lone:

Have you pushed a wooden lolly stick into the spokes?

Rigid Raider 19 Mar 2020
In reply to lone:

Another one that catches out a lot of cyclists is a stray front derailleur cable end clicking against the frame every time your ankle passes it.

OP lone 19 Mar 2020
In reply to graeme jackson:

ha

OP lone 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Dave Cundy:

Thanks very much, I'll try this and check the cable -

L

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...