Brake pads for v-brakes and aluminium rims?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AndyC 02 Nov 2018

Any recommendations for good brake pads to use with v-brakes and aluminium rims? On my commuter bike I have Avid Single Digit v-brakes and Mavic Aksium Elites. The last few years I've been using Avid Rim Wrangler pads (supposedly designed for aluminium). The name is pretty descriptive - a set will last a couple of months or more in the summer but at the first sign of rain they dissolve into grey rubber and aluminium paste faster than you can say "noli illegitimi carborundum". I also regularly have to dig flakes and splinters of aluminium out of them and an Aksium rim lasts maybe 2 to 3 years (Oslo winters are tough on wheels).

Would be interested in trying something different that might last a bit longer, especially since the Wranglers cost 8 quid a set now.

The Potato 02 Nov 2018
In reply to AndyC:

I've been using swisstop green on my road bike, effective and low rim wear. I don't know if they do then for v brakes though you'll have to search

OP AndyC 03 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

Thanks - I haven't found any Swissstop pads but while searching I found that Kool Stop make some replacement pads to fit the Avid holders. A quid more than the Wranglers but if they don't dissolve in the wet it could be worth it. Might give them a try.

The Potato 03 Nov 2018
In reply to AndyC:

They only do their black compound for v brake style

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/swissstop-rx-plus-brake-pads-shimano-xt...

Kool Stop are ok, I wasnt overly impressed though, still better than the stock ones, I always despaired at seeing bits of metal in my pads

OP AndyC 04 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

Many thanks for the link. I ordered some Kool Stops yesterday, will see how they perform and then maybe give the Swissstops a try. 

The Potato 09 Nov 2018
In reply to AndyC:

have you tried the koolstops yet?

Removed User 09 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

Red koolstop for the win.

The Potato 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed User:

is the red called Salmon? If so thats what Ive tried before.

OP AndyC 09 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

> have you tried the koolstops yet?

No - not yet. They'll arrive next weekend. Just in time! With the weather at the moment, the last set of Wranglers will be gone in a few days!

OP AndyC 09 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

> is the red called Salmon? If so thats what Ive tried before.

http://www.koolstop.com/english/compounds.html

Red is for hipsters, salmon is for harsh conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...