Bountiful but not so beautiful bidons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 29 Jul 2021

Really this post is a blatant attempt to justify to myself putting some of my oldest water bottles in the recycling and splashing out a fiver or so on a couple of new ones... But do any other cyclists have any self-made-up rules on replacing their bidons? I have one that I keep on the bedside table and have noticed that if you leave it with some water in it for a long time it gets some 'green' in there - easy to wash out and when absent mindedly swigging from, tasteless and doesn't seem to do me any harm at all - so I know the bottles aren't completely sterile. And, anyway, at least the ones I use on my bike, tend to get washed out every so often and allowed to dry properly before going in the water bottle cupboard. Even the little one that tends to be on my commuting bike week in, week out, I wash out every so often.

Nevertheless, my 'matching big ones' which I will take on long rides in summer must be going on 20 years old, and although originally white, aren't very white on the outside as the years of being jammed in and out of cages has roughed up their outers. Even my 'new' matching small ones, aren't that new anymore - probably 10 years old now. 

Is this perfectly normal or disgusting and unhygienic? Even the ones that are probably old enough to vote have the recycling mark on their bases, so I guess it wouldn't be completely outrageous from a sustainability point to (recycling) bin them? Modern life is ethically very complex don't you think...?

Hat Dude 29 Jul 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I just throw mine onto the roadside every time they're emptied

It's expensive but the only way I get close to feeling like a pro

felt 29 Jul 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Bleach.

NorthernGrit 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Hat Dude:

Yeah same but usually aim it towards a young child. Bound to make his day.

Doug 29 Jul 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Always seem to loose mine before they get that old, but I do have a Sigg bottle which must be 40 years old & still in use - luckily I can't see the insides.

In reply to TobyA:

Milton sterilising fluid I use every so often; if it’s suitable for baby stuff I reckon it must be ok for my water bottles/hydration bladders, etc. Seems to keep them clean and some of mine are around 20 years old.

Any that are not used daily/weekly are stored with tops on (if only loosely) after they are dry. 

Yanis Nayu 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Hat Dude:

My missus came to watch me race, and was situated in a lay-by at the bottom of the finishing climb. Feeling (relatively) good and well-positioned for the finale, I fired my half-full bottle towards her feeling totally pro. I watched it bounce off the tarmac and stove into the driver’s side door of her car with some horror…

LastBoyScout 29 Jul 2021
In reply to TobyA:

All of mine are years old, too - I mainly get the clear/translucent ones, so you can easily see how much is left in them and they don't seem to look too bad from cage scrapes.

If they're all scratched up, then the recycling bin is fine - if they're in mint condition, then charity shop. I've done that with a few that were freebies from events where I didn't like the bottle for some reason.

I've given a few away to my cousin/friends and recycled a couple of others when the rubber bite valves perished.

subtle 29 Jul 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Four cyclists in our house, all using the 15+ bottles we have, all of various vintages

The rule is only water allowed in them, no fancy juices/powders/fancy stuff 

They do go through the dishwasher ever so often.

GrahamD 29 Jul 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I don't make the water bottle rules in our house.  When Mrs D deems my bottles unhygienic,  its time for a change.

In reply to TobyA:

I cant use any polythene bottles; they seem to taint everything.

Basemetal 29 Jul 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Repurpose some into tool carriers in lieu of a saddle bag? Cut some open for degreaser/soap dispensers to use when cleaning your bike (mount in bottle cage and brush from them as necessary). A long one might be able to carry a waterproof or gilet and free up a jersey pocket. Modify to dispense food on the go -like raisins, sugar puffs, gorp, etc. through a suitable opening cut near the neck. Use to clean chains by immersion in solvent and shaking, or even just store small parts in them. Labelling helps!

The curved plastic can work for 'ass-saver' style front or back mini-mudguards.

In reply to Basemetal:

> Labelling helps!

Especially if you're repurposing for citrus-based cleaners...

mondite 30 Jul 2021
In reply to NorthernGrit:

> Yeah same but usually aim it towards a young child.

I only do that when they are full. It really improves my sprinting skills. In my experience they tend to break at the mouthpullyoutty bit (to use technical terminology) so dont tend to last beyond a period where I would start getting worried about them.

Normally I just make sure they dry properly and occasionally lob them through the dishwasher. Leaving them with water in is bound to end in tears.

Still upset about my "beer fueled" ones dying.

GrahamD 31 Jul 2021
In reply to mondite:

I think I'll add a real 1st world problem to the mix: just how many similar looking but different size threads between top and body do we need ? In mine and MrsD's collection of variously bought, novelty and hand out bottles we must have at least 3, maybe 4 incompatible threads.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...