BikingMan 2022

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 supersteve 16 Jan 2022

I have entered my first ultra cycling event - BikingMan #2 in France in June. Was wondering if anyone on here has done these events and had any advice? I'm pretty well set up for it already, so fishing around for any hints or tips you may have to make things easier / less painful. I have just fitted tri bars to my bike to give me another option of body position. I was thinking tubeless, but I feel more confident with tubes. Rear cog set - do I get a big climbing gear at the back - the route goes up Ventoux and Bonette - I already have 11-40. I'm not in it to win it, just to get round - any suggestions on sleeping systems? Is it worth taking a lightweight sleeping bag for a kip or two? Will need a GPS - hope to finish within 72 hours - any suggestions of makes and models? I will also need lights to last 3 nights (approx 7 hours per night) so 24 hours of burn time without charging, ideally. Any suggestions welcome. 

Dave B 16 Jan 2022
In reply to supersteve:

I think, in terms of lights your choice is dynamo, replacing battery packs or charging

I'd think about using a charging pod in the day to charge things up. As I wouldn't want to spend it on a dynamo. If you're planning on doing lots, hub dynamo would be the way forward, imho.

Some hub dynamo can also produce output to charge computers etc. 

OP supersteve 16 Jan 2022
In reply to Dave B:

Thanks. I did consider a dynamo hub - probably worth me investigating some more. I have a charging pod - no idea how much it will charge - might need to experiment. My lights are currently USB charged, so could be enough to top these up. The eTrex 30x seems a good option and offers 25 hour of battery, so would only need 2 spare sets in theory. 

Dave B 16 Jan 2022
In reply to supersteve:

Excuse my ignorance, but how much is off road? Coz it looks like 1000km in 5 days would be ok on road, but super hard if off road at all. 

Would a bike computer be better than a GPS for navigation?

Sounds interesting event though

OP supersteve 16 Jan 2022
In reply to Dave B:

It's all on road, so mostly just a case of getting on with it. A bit hilly with 20,000m+ of climbing thought, but that also means 20,000m- of descent.....scenery should make the riding pleasant - Verdon, Ecrans, Med,....

Womble 17 Jan 2022
In reply to supersteve:

I would always take something decent for a kip. However if you're confident on time/distance you could aim for hotel stops. For bags, one of the UL ones used for ultra running works. Sea to summit, or if you're feeling flush PHD. Alpkit do a nice UL bag too that is sometimes on offer.

I have used an etrex and they are great if you just want a basic line to follow. Batteries do last for ages. 

However I have a Garmin 530 and it's got a good battery -1.5 days. I would combine with an exposure light such as Strada or diablo. They'll both do 2 nights before empty and give battery info.

then calculate up and buy the appropriate mAh battery pack. You'll likely get away with 10,000 mAh but might want to double up as they aren't big or heavy nowadays. Get yourself one with USB c fast charging and you'll be able to top up 10/20% at a cafe over lunch easily. They are insanely fast charging. 

I've tried a dynamo and they are great but as I ride long distance on a range of bikes it wasn't practical to have a dynamo on each bike. 

Looks a fun race! It's on my list!

LastBoyScout 17 Jan 2022
In reply to supersteve:

> I would always take something decent for a kip. However if you're confident on time/distance you could aim for hotel stops. For bags, one of the UL ones used for ultra running works. Sea to summit, or if you're feeling flush PHD. Alpkit do a nice UL bag too that is sometimes on offer.

OMM also do very light sleeping bags, but quite expensive.

Have a look on eBay, if you don't mind 2nd hand - I got a decent light down bag at a good price that way that I use for cycle touring.

I'd also 2nd the battery pack over dynamo hub for the same reasons as Womble - portable between bikes and you can easily charge in cafés, etc.

If you can guarantee enough sun, then solar power charger might be an option?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...