Bike wall rack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philipjardine 27 Sep 2021

The bikes are multiplying in the hall.  I was going to buy this unless anyone has an alternative suggestion

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/5-bike-wall-rack/_/R-p-X8556088?mc=8556088

cragtyke 27 Sep 2021
In reply to philipjardine:

https://www.rolsontools.com/products/trade/workshop/8pc-storage-hooks/

A pack of these £8, fix direct to the wall or on to a length of 2x2.

Usually available in local DIY stores.

Post edited at 13:38
In reply to cragtyke: and OP

Ha I’ve got similar from different make in my garage; they have been great over some 3 years use. Used to hanging wheels/spare tyre high up on wall, hold bikes upright resting on rear wheel, or hanging them completely from ceiling. Means that bikes, etc take up much less space and are easily accessible.

nniff 27 Sep 2021

I have a row of these

1-Bike Wall and Ceiling Rack DECATHLON - Decathlon

The cheaper packs (as above) bend and are not strong enough.  They obviously put the wheels on the wall, which will make a mess of it, but it does mean that they stay where they're put.  The rack you have seen - can't see if the wheels touch the wall or not. 

Bikes hanging like that take up a lot of space

plyometrics 27 Sep 2021

FYI, led to believe hanging bikes vertically isn’t great if you’ve got hydraulic brakes as it affects the pressure. 

Might be nonsense, but sure some of UKC’s velominati will be able to confirm. 

Post edited at 15:47

I use one of these for my 24kg 29" wheel EMTB. They come in different sizes. It's small, versatile, unobtrusive and grips tight: 

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/clug-roadie-bike-holder?lang=en&curr=GBP&d...

Al

Post edited at 16:09
 Martin W 27 Sep 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

> FYI, led to believe hanging bikes vertically isn’t great if you’ve got hydraulic brakes as it affects the pressure.

Not sure about it "affecting the pressure" - which doesn't really mean much if anything - but I've certainly read that turning hydraulic brake-equipped bikes upside down for servicing is a bad idea.

There's no pressure in the hydraulic system when the brake lever isn't being pulled, which should be the case when the bike is stored in any orientation (unless the brake lever is somehow caught up in the storage system and pushed against the bar).  What I believe I have read of as being a potential risk is that if the master cylinder (the one at the brake lever) is left in a position a long way out of its normal orientation for an extended period then brake fluid might leak out and/or air might get in.  That would lead very likely to spongy brakes.

Then again, it may all be nonsense scaremongering.

FWIW I have something very similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIVIVO-Folding-Mounted-Bicycle-Storage/dp/B01M1BPW... for my gravel bike.  It folds up out of the way if I ever need it to (though I never have yet) and it's quite handy to be able to hang spare tyres and the like on the stem between the bike and the wall (also protects the bike a bit maybe?)

My eMTB lives on the floor, largely because it's too heavy to lift up on to a hanging system!

Post edited at 16:29
 Basemetal 27 Sep 2021

Lidl currently have a telescopic rack that holds two bikes horizontally, one above the other. Easier to see than describe... 

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/cycling-kit/crivit-telescopic-bike-rack/p45648

Dark-Cloud 27 Sep 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

It’s nonsense, for a start they are not pressurised systems also they are a sealed system, oil can’t get out therefore air can’t get in.

LastBoyScout 28 Sep 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

> FYI, led to believe hanging bikes vertically isn’t great if you’ve got hydraulic brakes as it affects the pressure. 

> Might be nonsense, but sure some of UKC’s velominati will be able to confirm. 

The issue is that if there's any air in the lever reservoir, it could rise up into the front caliper (rear should be unaffected) - this might mean your brake doesn't work. Easily solved by bleeding them.

A friend recently discovered this on a bike that had been stored upside-down and neither brake worked, which lead to a rather hairy moment!

I also believe you shouldn't hang a bike like this if it has carbon rims - can't remember the reference, though.

LastBoyScout 28 Sep 2021

Hanging bikes vertically takes up a LOT of room, so I use a wall rack similar to this:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-storage-solutions/mottez-folding-2-cy...

Works best with narrow/drop bars, though, so light road bikes on that and heavy MTBs on the floor below.

nniff 28 Sep 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I also believe you shouldn't hang a bike like this if it has carbon rims - can't remember the reference, though.

Wheels are strong - I put 73kg plus the extra from potholes and cornering and the drive forces through my wheels.  It's only 7kg when its hanging up - as long as the hook's got a bit of plastic or rubber, I'm fine with that.  On the other hand, if you've got alloy rims with a carbon/thin plastic aero fairing, that's not so smart

> Hanging bikes vertically takes up a LOT of room,

Not necessarily if you get a swivel type one. Friends have ones similar (maybe the same one!) to this https://www.probiketool.com/uk/product/swivel-bike-wall-hanger/ and their 4 bikes could take up a depth space around the same as a bike free standing leaning on a wall, though they have them over lapping a bit to save the overall length of wall being used, so use slightly more depth. Height wise to most is dead space.

OP philipjardine 28 Sep 2021
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

yes that looks really elegant.  but apparently not good if you have mudguards

StuPoo2 29 Sep 2021

Do you do any of your own work on the bike?

If so ... buying a storage solution that can double up a stand, i.e. can adjust height, angle and can turn the peddles to index gears etc ... is helpful.

I've got some of the bikes on this and use it as my stand when I need it.  No drilling but you need to ensure you pressure fit it onto the beam and not just the hung plasterboard.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-dual-touch-bike-stand

IMA 30 Sep 2021

Another shout for clugs work a treat and don't take up as much wall space as other solutions. But pick the solution that works for you. I used 3 clugs in an alcove for my bikes.

Graeme G 30 Sep 2021

> The bikes are multiplying in the hall.  I was going to buy this unless anyone has an alternative suggestion

Apologies if this has already been suggested, but what about buying a house with a bigger hall?

chris_r 30 Sep 2021

n -1

Post edited at 17:37
 Philip 01 Oct 2021
 Sean Kelly 01 Oct 2021

I had one of these and despite 1 1/2" screws it's  dropping off the wall. Only used for a very lightweight racing bike.

dsh 02 Oct 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

> Might be nonsense, but sure some of UKC’s velominati will be able to confirm. 

In my very anecdotal sample size of one, short term and pumping the brakes sorts them out fine, long term (a week or 2) I have to bleed the brakes every time so now I just do it for winter storage when I'm gonna bleed the brakes before using them anyway.

If you have suspension forks then some folks think it will help lubricate the seals, other's think it causes them to leak. I've not noticed either.

dsh 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> It’s nonsense, for a start they are not pressurised systems also they are a sealed system, oil can’t get out therefore air can’t get in.

Not nonsense, it's not air getting in, it's air already in the system that usually is up in the reservoir not affecting braking performance moving through the system when stored vertically. It won't harm your brakes though and bleeding/topping up oil should prevent it.

Dave B 03 Oct 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

I've certainly found this when my bike was left vertical. Left it horizontal for a day and then pulled the brake numerous times to solve this issue.

Now stored horizontal, while the other bikes are vertical. Not sure what will do if they all become hydraulic disk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...