Bike, Train and three punctures

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 18 Apr 2021

Well took the new bike out and its grand.
Set off from Brockholes near Preston, cycled to the railway station and bought two tickets to Lancaster, £7 something.

Train clean and modern, excellent .

Cycled back down the canal, noteing camping spots and the Hawthorn Hedges had been trimmed.

Surprised at the variety of surface by Canals, not all as good as expected , but the bikes coped with aplomb.

The punctures, two thorns, last one has to go to the coroner, maybe a nip or a thorn.
But a nice spring day is a good time to learn how to deal with punctures.

Got a sore arse, but all in all a good day. Looking forward to the loaded panniers and camping trip

ablackett 18 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Get better tyres and make sure they are well pumped up, in 10 years of cycling I’ve only ever had 2 or 3 punctures when out on the road.

J1234 18 Apr 2021
In reply to ablackett:

These are Shawalbe Marathon.The Thorns in Lancashire are hardcore.

crayefish 18 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Is tubeless a thing with road bikes?

Never have to worry about thorns or flat on my mtb, even at 1.4 bar (20 psi)

ablackett 19 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

> These are Shawalbe Marathon.The Thorns in Lancashire are hardcore.

I’m pretty sure something has gone wrong if you get 3 punctures with Shawalbe Marathons. I have those tyres on the running buggy, before I got them it was about 1 puncture every couple of weeks, after I put them on it has been one puncture in 3 years - what psi are you running?

thepodge 19 Apr 2021
In reply to crayefish:

I have tubeless on the road and it's a revelation. 

In reply to ablackett:

I said something similar a few years ago. Then promptly got 2 punctures in a week! 😬

mondite 19 Apr 2021
In reply to ablackett:

> I’m pretty sure something has gone wrong if you get 3 punctures with Shawalbe Marathons.

Possible if you had a disagreement with blackthorn or similar. Those things are truly vicious.

TobyA 19 Apr 2021
In reply to J1234:

Marathons or Marathon Plus? It's the latter that is ALMOST puncture proof - two pairs, maybe 9000 kms on the first, the second pair still on the bike, another few thousand and 1 puncture in all that time.

You've been unlucky if you manage to puncture a pair of marathon plus!

lboutside 19 Apr 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Someone said the same to me once about Conti GP 4 Seasons, 2 rides in coming home along the Bristol to Bath Railway Path and something (judging from the cut most likely the finest crack pipe glass) tore straight through it (probably extremely unlucky but left a sour taste.) Was riding on some cheapo Specialized Roubaix's before the bike went on the turbo for the winter so was looking for a recommendation that wasn't continentals ready for when I venture outside again. Might give the Marathon Plus' a go based on that, cheers.

TobyA 19 Apr 2021
In reply to lboutside:

It was broken glass that punctured my nearly new second pair of marathon plus.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...