Bike Security

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 19 Jul 2020

Planning to beef up our bike security. When the bikes are at home I want to chain them in the garage to an "immovable object" as the insurance companies put it. I'm thinking of fixing some kind of bracket to the concrete block wall attached with unremovable screws. The bracket would ideally be resistant to an angle grinder. Has anybody done this and can give advice?

Also wondering about a GPS tracker that fits in the handlebar. Any ideas about that?

flatlandrich 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-ground-wall-anchor-black-large-160mm...

or

https://www.toolstation.com/sterling-ground-wall-anchor/p83061

would suit your needs. If someone fancies cutting through one with an angle grinder it would be easier (or as easy) to knock a brick out of the wall. With a suitably sturdy chain and lock combo your insurance company should be happy. A generally rule is to spend 10% of your bikes value on the lock.

Haven't tried gps trackers myself.

wilkesley 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

We have got a couple of vjoycar GPS trackers, which work well. If you use a GiffGaff SIM your credit never expires unless you actually use it. It has all sorts of modes, but at the simplest level you can just text it and it will text you back a Google maps link. The tracker is quite small, but you would struggle to find somewhere to hide it on a bike.

I don't use it on my bike, but we have them attached to quad bikes,.

http://www.vjoycar.com/User-Manual/FastGuide-VJOYCAR-GPS-Tracker-Devices.pd...

Dax H 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

When it comes to locks, chains and ground anchors

https://securityforbikes.com/shop-index.php

The Pragmasis stuff tends to win every group test I have seen in the motorcycle world. Expensive stuff but will last a lifetime. I had one of theirs on the back of my motorbike and a good heavy looking chain and lock that cost about £70 on the front. Scrotes cut the front one and left the broken bolt croppers when they couldn't get through the good one. 

OP Rog Wilko 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks guys. Food for thought there. Not sure at my age if I'm concerned about things lasting a lifetime though. 

Keep it coming. 

TheGeneralist 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Dax H:

Agreed. I've spent about £600 so far on Pragmasis chains. Luckily I still haven't foundifound out if they are up to the job, but they seem solid.

> The bracket would ideally be resistant to an angle grinder.

Hmm, not sure how that's possible. Isn't that the whole point of an angle grinder that nothing is resistant to it?

DOH. Just realised what I actually wanted to say is..... Get an old car tyre and cram it with old fencing wire and general metalwork.  Shove a few bricks in the bottom if they will fit.  Fill the bottom with concrete and leave it to set. Rotate 90 degrees, fill the bottom with concrete and leave it to set, etc.

Cover it with polythene or something to stop it making a mess et voilà.  A ginormous heavy polo mint that you can lock stuff to. Some people reckon on a u lock buried in a bucketo'crete but that's much easier to cut through than aconcrete and metal stuffed tyre. (But don't skimp on the wire mesh of course)

Not sure how much mine weighs but it took the seriously huge moving house man to lift it so I'm guessing around 80kg. You can roll it around to move it, but once it's chained to a few bikes then it's pretty much immovable.

Post edited at 19:46
 carl dawson 19 Jul 2020

Another vote for Pragmasis.

gezebo 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A chap I know puts a tracker in his ebike. I serviced it for him and had no idea it was there. He’d stashed it behind the battery and was well hidden. When I dropped it back he showed me where it had been over the last few days with a little track of the route I drove from his house to my workshop  and back. I’ve no idea of the cost or which one he used but I was quite impressed by the accuracy and size. 

ChrisJD 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Nothing will stop battery powered angle grinder.

But another +1 for Pragmasis chains and anchors.

And get an alarm for the garage. Have a look at the Yale Home system. 

And fit a proper garage door. And bar any windows.

Do everything you can to slow them down so they give up. But you won't stop them if they have time and are determined. 

OP Rog Wilko 19 Jul 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

I've already barred windows and about to reinforce door. I've also put some bolts on the up and over door. 

I'm sure you're right and I'm being over optimistic about angle grinder!

It does make you wonder if battery powered angle grinders ought to be outlawed.

flatlandrich 19 Jul 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Nothing will stop battery powered angle grinder.

This bike lock is designed to!!

youtube.com/watch?v=ixPFDFp8Cfo&

Toby_W 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have a plug in baby monitor in our garage linked to one in our bedroom.

cheers

Toby

ChrisJD 19 Jul 2020
In reply to flatlandrich:

But that's only part of a system. They would just angle grind the next part of the system.

But that is one awesome big lock

Post edited at 22:33
 flatlandrich 19 Jul 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

Oh yeah, that was the general consensus of everyone who has tried to defeat the lock. I just thought it was an interesting design to try and get round that specific type of attack. I agree that you can't stop thieves, slowing them down is the best you can hope for.

ChrisJD 19 Jul 2020
In reply to flatlandrich:

A chain to go with it would be something to behold!

Dax H 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> It does make you wonder if battery powered angle grinders ought to be outlawed.

They are a very useful tool and I certainly wouldn't want to be without mine. 

From the ones I have used it would be slow going to cut a good lock or chain with one, they are nowhere near as powerful as a mains powered one. 

OP Rog Wilko 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Toby_W:

That's what I call lateral thinking!

Marek 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Couple of thoughts...

1. If you fit a tracker and it gets stolen, what are you going to do about it? Call the police? Probably won't be interested. Confront the (professional?) thieves? Braver man than I.

2. A lot of value in expensive bikes is in the parts rather than the frame (and they're easier to dispose of). And the frame is very, very easy to cut.

coinneach 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Marek:

I had an old customer who was an electrician.When he was going on holiday he’d come to the pub the night before and loudly proclaim that he’d wired the shed door to the mains.

He was eccentric enough that no one ever tested it!

yorkshire_lad2 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

FWIW, there was an article in Saturday's Guardian (Sat 18 July 2020) on bike security which may be found here

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/jul/18/bike-theft-uk-cycle-sales-bes...

ralphio 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A ground anchor and chain, both of which are SoldSecure Gold standard. Position the anchor and chain in such away that the chain is always some distance off the floor. That way the chain will be almost impossible to cut.

LastBoyScout 20 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've got a mix of Oxford and MasterLock wall anchors and chains.

With the bikes in front, the wall anchor is going to be pretty awkward to get at with an angle grinder - they'll be going for the chain links.

Make sure you lock through the wheels - if you just lock the frame, they'll cut that (it's the only bit with a serial number anyway), strip and sell the parts and bin the frame.

PillarOfFrenzy 20 Jul 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I felt that Guardian article on bike security could have picked a better picture. It looks like someone has stuck a quite expensive lock through a non-structural part of the bike. I think you could probably cut what looks like a support for a rear rack and just ride off! It's not just about what lock you buy but how you use it.

Siward 20 Jul 2020
In reply to PillarOfFrenzy:

Not many bikes that you couldn't just cut through the frame and bodge a repair with some tape or something. Saw a nice Specialized locked up in London which had clearly had its crossbar cut right through at some point. 

OP Rog Wilko 21 Jul 2020
In reply to ALL:

Thanks for your advice and taking the trouble to answer..

Twittwootwiggy 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

We have a concrete garage, & I've taken one of the connection pins out of the side & bent in a 13mm threaded dowel, using a HD pipe bender; Get two bikes directly to that & then chain the others onto the bike before.
It does mean (on the wider handlebars)- having to remove front face bolts on the steering stem.
The big ring of keys get put in a filing cabinet, so I don't lose them

AukWalk 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I got a 'Hiplok Ankr' recently, which is sold secure gold rated so should count as an immovable object I think. Not immune to angle grinders, but due to the size it would probably take a little bit longer to cut through than some other anchors.  Looks like a pretty good design to me, so would recommend. 

Think two key advantages over more traditional sorts of anchors are:

1. It's removable when nothing's locked through it, meaning you can reposition it if you want to move house or reorganise your garage etc

2. It only needs 6mm pilot holes for concrete screws, rather than 16mm holes for expansion bolts. Therefore you don't have to get a massive drill bit and SDS drill if you don't already have one. (might need a slightly longer 6mm masonry bit than you already have though, as it needs 9cm holes - I had to buy a longer drill bit). 

Phil Tucker 25 Jul 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Rog

This may be useful  youtube.com/watch?v=2DiLSzzPVyE&

OP Rog Wilko 25 Jul 2020
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Hi Phil

Thanks for that. A good watch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...