Bike park wales ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 09 Oct 2020

Travel restrictions not withstanding I m thinking of taking my kids to BPW for a couple of days  at half term .

I've never been so any and all thoughts / info welcome .

If you are not local where did you stay ? I,m thinking camping pod somewhere close .

if you are local do you take your kids ? How does it all work ? 

Thanks 

Edit : it looks like it might be fully booked for half term , but alll info still helpful for the future 

Post edited at 07:40
OP mike123 09 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:  just tried to Edit / delete this post and can’t . What it should read Is this “ when the current situation allows I m thinking  ......”

JoshOvki 09 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

I believe it is shut currently. They posted on their facebook page on the 21st September and not put anything up about being re-open.

Just seen the bit about for the future. Lots of people seem to stay in air-bnbs in Merthyr. Can't say I know of any camping pods around, but I also haven't looked very hard. Make sure you stay safe when you are there, people have a habit of crashing into trees.

Post edited at 09:24
 mik82 09 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

It's in a local lockdown area so no-one from outside the county is allowed to travel there anyway.

https://gov.wales/merthyr-tydfil-county-borough-lockdown-frequently-asked-q...

(just noticed the bit about when the situation allows - so maybe next year now! For somewhere to stay maybe look at somewhere in the Brecon Beacons, Merthyr isn't great)

Post edited at 09:39
 itsThere 09 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

Went there last year, I think I stayed at Daisy Valley Apartments. They were ok, but it was by a main road so quite noisy with cars going past all night. Chatting to a few other people there, the local premier inn was a good option.

Kids will be fine on the uplift, there will be staff there to help get the bikes on the rack or another biker will help. I don't think you would be holding the bus up with the time to get your kids bikes on the rack if they cant, so don't worry about it.

Welsh Kate 09 Oct 2020
In reply to itsThere:

I was going to suggest looking at the Premier Inn, it's literally at the bottom of the hill from BPW and has family rooms. The only thing I don't know is whether it has overnight bike storage which you would want - but you can always ring and ask.

itsThere 09 Oct 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I think the guy I spoke too said there were CCTV cameras for the car park so the bike stayed in the car, but if you have a bike bag you can wash it at BPW and take it into your room easy. Not sure how easy it was without a bike bag. I got the impression lots of people stay there so the staff were more understanding so inside a bike bag was a good compromise.

OP mike123 09 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123: thanks all . I was looking at the premier inn website when I put 2 and 2 together re lockdown  . However It looks like a reasonably priced option For next year . I might take a punt and book for March, 21 . Wonder if anybody on here could  write a bit about the riding , what’s there Is at the base etc . How it compares to whinlatter , 7 stains ? It would be a big treat for the kids as they Usually do a lot of grinding up hill at whinlatter and ae to Earn their down hill . Looks like there is an no reduction for kids ?   

Post edited at 11:29
In reply to mike123:

There are plenty of trails which would be fine for children who are competant downhillers, you don't need to be into jump lines though that's obviously available. Some of the blues, like Terry's Belly are really long and can be tiring for children but great fun. Plenty of kids ride there.

ChrisJD 12 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

I'm sure your kids will have great time if they are riding the stuff you've listed.

- The trail grading at BPW is typically towards the tough end, so best assume the blues are reds and reds are blacks (by many trail centre standards) till you get your eye in on a few. (I've no idea what level you and your kids ride at, so not trying to teach you to suck eggs)

- I always ride with a full face at BPW

- Leave the light weight tyres at home

- Don't underestimate how physically tough and knackering a day of riding at BPW is.  I'm usually beasted on the last few runs of the day.  One day is normally enough for me.

- The trails are generally all-weather, though there are plenty of roots and mud on some.

- .... the A&E at Merthyr is well used ....

I was due to be riding there the weekend just gone .... cancelled.

Post edited at 09:21
 thepodge 12 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

I've always used the Crown Hotel and eaten / drank in town for the 4/5 times I've been. Its a bit run down (hotel and town centre) but I like to try and spend my money locally instead of with the out of town chains. The Crown have been more than happy with us taking in grubby bikes. 

I'm not sure what its like at the moment but I've always had to get up at midnight to book 6 places 3 months in advance as by 9am any weekend uplift spots were sold out. 

I'd echo the points about it being tiring, I was aching for days after 6 runs on a hardtail, 9 runs on the full suspension and my concentration was starting to go. 

Also make sure you and the kids can get the bikes on the trailer well enough, it can be a bit of a free for all and people tend not to wait about. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...