Bike Cover advise needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robw007 02 Jul 2020

I have just taken ownership of a VW T6 and have a VW Bike Rack fitted for 4 bikes.  Having done a bit of research into the best bike cover to purchase Im now unsure any are fit for purpose.

Does anyone have any advice for a suitable, tough and hardwearing cover for 4 bikes?

Thanks.

Dark-Cloud 02 Jul 2020
In reply to robw007:

I never bother with them, they juts flap around and get wet, we have done plenty of Alps trip with Mountain and CX bikes on and never had an issue, the only thing i don't put on there is road bikes, they go inside.

Also good luck getting 4 bike on, it's like a Japanese wire puzzle with two, even worse if they are similar sizes !

Post edited at 11:31
Dom Connaway 02 Jul 2020
In reply to robw007:

Blue PVC tarp with eyelets. Get a custom-sized one, loads of providers online. To secure, decent quality braided line, doesn't need to be hugely strong but less than 4mm can be hard to handle. Then use truckers' hitches to secure. Best variant for this job ties off to its own standing part with two half-hitches rather than down to a second tying-off point.

ChrisJD 02 Jul 2020

We've done 4 bikes on a rack for years, its certainly an art

Especially tricksome with 4x full sussers!

We've got some extra extension arms from other bike racks, plus extra straps.

I now take a photo to remind me of the order and which way round first bike.

And we've never covered bikes, bar a bag over an old saddle that sucked up water.

Recommend very heavy duty chains & lock if you are to leave van unattended.

On the VW, you can also try and upgrade the struts to keep the tailgate up when bikes are on.

.. we now have 4x on a tilting towbar rack.

Post edited at 12:08
 Dark-Cloud 02 Jul 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

I think tow bar are the way to go if you have room to store them when not in use, the VW tailgate racks whilst looking great are very high, after a particularity challenging day out on the mountain bikes a few years back it took two of us to lift them back on !

ChrisJD 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

VW tailgate Rack - yes we used one for a good few years.  Can be a PITA when raining, midgy and tired!

OP robw007 02 Jul 2020
In reply to robw007:

Ok. Thanks folks. So I think the smart money maybe on no cover when travelling and a tarp to cover when on the campsite?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...