Bike computer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew W 23 Aug 2019

I'm looking for a new bike computer as my Garmin Edge 500 has just given up. Looking to replace it with something relatively similar, preferably with some form of map based navigation.

Thanks

Andrew

Enty 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew W:

1st choice Wahoo, then if not I'd go for a Wahoo and if all else fails get a Wahoo.

I've got an Elemnt after years of Garmin woes and it rocks. (Edge 500 amongs others)

E

Post edited at 19:08
In reply to Andrew W:

Exactly what Enty said. 

OP Andrew W 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Enty:

Thanks I'll take a look, do you know if you are able to charge it whilst it records an activity?

wilkie14c 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Enty:

Good to see you on the forums mate!

Again, Wahoo. I’ve got the bolt, very easy, all settings etc are done via an app on my phone, routes are done on ridewithgps.

It is only B&W but better a B&W screen that works than a colour one that doesn’t 

wilkie14c 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew W:

> Thanks I'll take a look, do you know if you are able to charge it whilst it records an activity?

Yes

On long rides, i have a power bank in my bar bag and it charges as i’m riding 

Dark-Cloud 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew W:

Garmin 530 here, nice bit of kit, still don’t understand why they haven’t got the ability to setup data fields from the app though....

Enty 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew W:

> Thanks I'll take a look, do you know if you are able to charge it whilst it records an activity?

I've never needed to.  We did a ride in June. Ventoux to the Millau Viaduct. 312km, the ride time was 12 hours and the total time was 14 hours. I was using the map function all day and still had 30% left when we got to Millau.

E

Toby_W 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Enty:

These must be good, I have a 520 after a 500 and lots of friends are ditching their garmins for wahoos!  What is the huge improvement?

cheers

Toby

In reply to Toby_W:

> These must be good, I have a 520 after a 500 and lots of friends are ditching their garmins for wahoos!  What is the huge improvement?

> cheers

> Toby

Simple to use via smartphone app. 100% reliable recording and routing. Syncing with Strava, Ride with GPS and others is automatic and faultless everytime. 

I don't know anyone who has gone from Garmin to Wahoo who would now go back to Garmin.

The only fault I have found with Wahoo is that on maps you can only zoom in and out of your current position you can't move the map around as on a touchscreen. This is has only been an issue a couple of times in thousands of miles and it's easy enough to get your phone out on the odd occasion. It certainly wouldn't make me buy Garmin if I needed a new device tomorrow.

krikoman 25 Aug 2019
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

I've been using a Bryton Rider 50 for the last 8 or so years, they don't make this model any more, but it's great.

wilkesley 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

In reply to Toby_W:

Adjusting the UI on the unit is a doddle compared to Garmins. Just use your smart phone. Doesn't crash randomly. Doesn't crash on rides more than 60 miles if you are using a route from RideWithGPS. Maps are OK and it comes with maps for the whole world, so no need to buy them. When using maps it doesn't tell you to do a "U" turn on a completely straight bit of road with no turn offs, even though the blue line shows you should just carry straight on.

Doesn't crash. Oh, did I mention it doesn't crash. 

In reply to Andrew W:

Buy a wahoo. Faultless and easy usability, I love mine and my Garmin owning mates All want one. 

ClimberEd 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew W:

I'd just like to surmise that the issue is around maps and navigation then?!

Because I only ever use my garmin for data readout and never have any problem with it.

OP Andrew W 25 Aug 2019
In reply to ClimberEd:

The main issue is that my garmin no longer charges at all and doesn't get detected by my computer when I plug it in.  I had also had a couple issues on multi day rides of it running out of charge and then not being able to use it whilst it was on charge.

Is there much to choose from between the wahoo elemnt and the elemnt bolt the main thing seems to be the size of the unit.

jethro kiernan 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew W:

Worth a try,  but have you deleted all the old rides off your garmin that may unclog it 😏

Toby_W 26 Aug 2019
In reply to wilkesley:

Thanks both, I use mine to record my route..... caveman level of usage means I have no doubt escaped these woes.   Then again, the easy display set would be a no contest win for me!!!

Cheers

Toby

p.s the blue tooth sync niggle, yep you’ve convinced me on the wahoo

wilkesley 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

My main use is to record rides, which is why crashes are particularly annoying. Sometimes re-starting after a crash can recover your data and sometimes it can't.  It seemed to happen more frequently on rides of 60 miles or more. I ended up carrying my eTrex 20 in addition to the Garmin to make sure I didn't lose any data.

Yanis Nayu 26 Aug 2019
In reply to wilkesley:

I’ve had my 520 for about 3 years and it’s packed up maybe 3 times, but on each occasion it’s uploaded the whole ride anyway.  

GrahamD 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew W:

Im happy enough with my Garmin edge touring which was well priced a few years back and the latest SW loads deem stable enough. Not sure whether they are available now, but Mrs D just got a Wahoo Element Bolt at a similar price point and similar feature set with the benefit of wireless uploads.  My only minor criticism is the Wahoo pn screen maps aren't great, especially if you use it off road as well as on.

Stig 27 Aug 2019
In reply to Enty:

> I've never needed to.  We did a ride in June. Ventoux to the Millau Viaduct. 312km, the ride time was 12 hours and the total time was 14 hours. I was using the map function all day and still had 30% left when we got to Millau.

It goes flat at around 390k In fact, a slight niggle I have with the Wahoo is that there is no battery warning, you have to keep an eye on it.

I charged it up twice on PBP and had plenty left at the end.

Re. crashes I have found a way to crash my Wahoo - by toggling too frequently between the route and route distance remaining screens on longer rides. It always recovers it though after a restart.

The Grist 27 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew W:

My Garmin 500 also died and I replaced it earlier this year with a garmin explore. I really like it. The navigation is fantastic. You go anywhere in Europe and simply type in a distance and a starting direction and it will find you 3 routes in less than a minute. You choose one and press go. I have now done some amazing routes all around the uk and in France. It has opened my eyes to new loops close to my home. It has encouraged me to drive an hour or so and then ride from there instead. 

It is relatively heavy and it does not have all the hard core power readings but it has the basic stuff and gives me all the training data I need. It cost about £180. 

Kermi 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew W:

Must confess I am a Garmin (1030) user. Very happy and not had any issues.

Have also used Wahoo and again no real issues. Biggest hangup for me though was that you can only set up routes/navigate using your Smart Phone. You can't navigate using the unit alone. For me, having this dependency is a deal-breaker.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...