Bike all the way to top of Carn a Chlamain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 17 Sep 2019

Map shows a landy track all the way to the top. So is it easy enough to do, or better to leave the bikes at the bottom near Forest Lodge?

Rigid Raider 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

You might do better to go and ask on Singletrack, those guys are always hauling their bikes up Scottish mountains.

My own experience of this was on Mount Keen where we used mountain bikes for the long walk in from Glen Tanar in the north east. They were perfect for that and allowed us to get well past the footbridge and about another mile up towards the ridge to the point where the bulldozed track stopped and there was a turning circle. My buddy stashed his bike there and walked the last few hundred feet but I carried and pushed mine as far as the footpath that bypasses the summit then gave up and walked. Even riding back down from there to the Landy track was a waste of effort with the rough terrain, so my advice would be to ride as far as there's a good track then stash the bikes and walk. 

MJAngry 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Mont Keen was a great ride down to the north.

OP Graeme G 17 Sep 2019

Went as far as the turning circle on Mount Keen from Glen Tanar a couple of summers ago. Beyond that was just too rough for me to think biking down would be fun. Just wondering how good the track on Chlamain is. 

I’ll try singletrack thanks.

OP Graeme G 17 Sep 2019
In reply to MJAngry:

Obviously a better (braver?) biker than me 😕

MJAngry 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

(dafter) more like

Rigid Raider 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

That was what mountain biking was all about in the days before artificial routes began to appear. Same as rock climbing, I guess. 

OP Graeme G 17 Sep 2019

Oh to be young again....😩

Now of an age where I’m not keen on injuries

OP Graeme G 17 Sep 2019
In reply to itsThere:

Thanks. Could only find one where they did the direct descent to Forest Lodge. I’ll have another look

dmhigg 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

Hi Graeme. Landy track is fine to the top and mostly cyclable. There are some looser steep sections which will make clearing the climb very challenging. I went down the stalker path descent which was tricky on my xc bike and I was not in contact with the bicycle throughout. It was big fun, though. The landy track would be an easy descent but a bit dull hauling on the brakes the whole way.

Mark

OP Graeme G 18 Sep 2019
In reply to dmhigg:

Thanks, that’s what I was hoping to hear. Not too bothered about how it will just be about sitting on the brakes, was more thinking about how rough the track was. And how steep the ascent would be. There’s tracks and then there’s tracks! 

Checked out a few of the videos posted earlier and def looks worth the effort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...