Bicycle phone handle bar mount and app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 29 Apr 2019

Just looking for some advice - I have seen the Garmin cycle computers which look nice but quite expensive at £200+, especially as I already have a Garmin watch and chest HR monitor which is great for recording rides and runs etc. - so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a handlebar phone mount (for an iPhone 8 I think) but I would want it to be quite robust so I don't risk it falling out and being destroyed!

It's for road cycling, I guessed I could just use google maps for navigation but I also wondered if there were any decent apps out there which might offer a similar experience to the Garmin cycle computers, e.g. speed, time, etc. perhaps with navigation, or strava things on there as well?

Lastly I wondered if any such apps will work with the Garmin HR monitor - I know it's ANT+ but don't know if it's bluetooth as well - and I don't know if an iPhones etc. work with ANT+ devices?

I have had a bit of a goosey gander on amazon / ebay for handlebar mounts but the only ones I saw looked like flimsy silicon things - I would want  something really tough ideally that has a strong closing mechanism to hold the phone in place securely.

Many thanks in advanced! 

thepodge 29 Apr 2019
In reply to elliot.baker:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/biking/app_for_gpx__route_following-70210...

That should answer some of it. 

I have a Garmin mount glued to my phone and a Garmin mount on my bars, its OK but not as good as the 4 slots in the plastic case and some cable ties round the stem.

Post edited at 16:04
 Dave B 29 Apr 2019

Quadlock. 

You can get a decent waterproof case & mount from decathlon, for about £20.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-bike-smartphone-holder-i-phone-5-id_8377752...

Post edited at 18:32
 elsewhere 29 Apr 2019

For navigation Google is hard to beat but for actual maps have a look at Open street map. 

open street map includes off-road and little shortcuts not on OS or Google. More up to date too. 

Kimono 30 Apr 2019

Komoot is a good little app for planning and uploading route to. 
I just used it for a month cycling around Taiwan and found it very useful.

thepodge 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Kimono:

I use Komoot too and really like it but I find their maps don't distinguish between footpaths, bridleways and byways all too well. 

Baz P 22 May 2019

I have several phone holders but this one I use all of the time for off-road. Its survived many mountain bike runs in various forests so should be ok for a road run.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grefay-PB03A-Universal-Motorcycle-Smartphone/dp/B0...

For apps. I use MemoryMap, Cyclemeter, Wiciloc and Strava but nothing beets MemoryMap for quality of the OS maps and ease of plotting my own routes and converting to GPX for my phone. Just as an aside, Strava elevation gain is about 30% to much.

Post edited at 14:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...