Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl) by mtn bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 16 Jul 2020

Going to be in the Blair Atholl area for a couple days next week, looking at Beinn Dearg on the map, it looks eminently do-able by bike. Anyone have any first hand knowledge? Info is scarce on the net, with most people just using the bike to access the hill then walking up/down it.

Cheers,

Gordon 

In reply to peebles boy:

Might see you up there!, i'm heading over next week, have not done Beinn dearg before, but it looks relatively easy in a MTB sense, 450m push up from the landy track, looks like a nice flowy singletrack descent, it's quite popular  there is a strava segment.  

DaveHK 16 Jul 2020
In reply to peebles boy:

You can ride a long way up Gleann Sguaib and it's a great descent but getting to the summit from the bealach will be 100% carry and unrideable in descent. A better descent would be to ride down beside the wall and pick up the stalkers track on Iorguill. This does not seem to be shown on recent os maps but it's still there then follow that down to Braemore.

Eididh nan Clach Geala and Meall nan Ceapraichean can be done as a loop from Inverlael with surprisingly little carrying and a great descent down Gleann na Sguaib.

OP peebles boy 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

Aye, saw it on Strava, but not many takers! Hopefully the weather holds for next week

In reply to DaveHK:

All worth knowing, but wrong Beinn Dearg

In reply to DaveHK:

Also....for future use...clockwise or anti-clockwise on stalkers path from Iorgill round Beinn Enaiglair?

DaveHK 16 Jul 2020
In reply to peebles boy:

Ha ha! What a Muppet! Went into auto pilot there!

Post edited at 12:02
In reply to peebles boy:

Forgot to say i have walked it years ago, the descent is an old stalkers path and as you probably know this equates to max flow  on a bike, have fun.

Rob N 16 Jul 2020
In reply to peebles boy:

Did this by bike a couple of years ago, really good. 

The descent from the top back down to the fire road is class, then you pretty much role all the way home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1972440969

In reply to Rob N:

Interesting - quite a few folk seem to do that the "other" way round, ie up to the main hill path the way you came down, then on way home descend to the bothy and out by your way in. Would you do it the same way again if you went back?

Don't suppose you had a look at either of the singletrack trails from either the bothy or the top of the Allt Sheicheachan towards Bruar Lodge?

Kalna_kaza 16 Jul 2020
In reply to peebles boy:

I did it last year, easy enough up the track to the bothy then it gets a bit steeper until finally getting to the path to the summit. I only use my mountain bike for hill access rather than serious downhill riding so left my bike where the track starts to loop around the hill. The decent is a dream and saves an hour or two (depending on your pace) back to Blair Atholl. Enjoy  

Removed User 16 Jul 2020
In reply to peebles boy:

>  Don't suppose you had a look at either of the singletrack trails from either the bothy or the top of the Allt Sheicheachan towards Bruar Lodge?

It's rough and boggy. Probably not rideable but I'm not much of a mountain biker.......

​​​​

Rob N 17 Jul 2020
In reply to peebles boy:

Sorry I'm afraid I didn't get a look at any other trails,

Still a nice day out, but the only interesting section of trail was the 3km from the top back to the fire road.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...