Anyone done the Outer Hebrides cycle trip?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulTanton 05 Feb 2020

If so, how long did it take you? Did you stay in hostels or camp? Did you do it both ways?

Thanks

In reply to PaulTanton:

Yes, around 15 years ago. One way from South Uist to Stornoway. We weren't hurrying and I think it took us about 5 days including a few detours (particularly recall a hilly out-and-back to Huisinis). The wind slowed us down on a few stages. We camped, with a few nights on the grass outside hostels. Amazing trip, I've not been cycle touring since then, and I doubt anything else in the UK would be as good.  

OP PaulTanton 05 Feb 2020
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan

Rigid Raider 05 Feb 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

What's the quickest it could be done on a fast bike with a credit card in the jersey pocket?

elliptic 05 Feb 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

We did a shorter version a couple of years ago as a loop from Skye.

Broadford -> Armadale -> Mallaig -> South Uist -> Barra (and down to the tip of Vatersay) over a couple of easy sightseeing days to start with, then two longer rides up the chain to Tarbert on Harris, and boat back to Uig on Skye on the last day.

Stayed in hostels and B&Bs, mostly booked in advance (it's quite a popular trip these days) That worked out fine and we only took minimal luggage but needed some careful study of ferry timetables etc beforehand to make sure it all fitted together. Obviously camping would give you more flexibility.

Regarding speed here's your answer @RigidRaider: youtube.com/watch?v=CP39ccxlIjk& 

More realistically if you're fit and the weather's okay you could certainly do Vatersay to Berneray in a day, then ferry to Harris and up to the top of Lewis the day after. Add an extra day each end for logistics (getting on and off the islands). Some people might say you'd be missing the point slightly though

Post edited at 10:27
 mp3ferret 05 Feb 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

Did it a couple of years ago.  It was one the worst cycling experiences I've had.  Did it south to north and back again.  On our way north we rode into a headwind which was strong enough to ensure we never got out of the granny gears.  After days of misery - we eventually got to stornoway and , because we were cycling back too, we got the bus to the top.  More or less 20 mins after heading south again the wind changed direction 180 degrees and we rode into the same strength head winds heading south as we did on the way north.  Stunning place - wouldn't do it again though.  I think i'll take a camper van next time.

Marc

In reply to mp3ferret:

Hmm, yes, pedalling full tilt just to make any progress while travelling DOWNHILL... an abiding memory. 

Received wisdom would suggest going S-N to make best use of the prevailing Southwesterlies, but your experience sounds like classic sod's law

m dunn 05 Feb 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

Six nights/ seven days Glasgow to Glasgow. 

Train to Oban, then back from Lairg.  Camping.  Good trip.

Rigid Raider 05 Feb 2020
In reply to mp3ferret:

Forgive me for laughing at your story. We use the train to go out against the wind then ride back with the wind, which makes you feel like a cycling God. Lancaster to Barrow is a good one or Settle to Appleby, which way depends on the wind.

OP PaulTanton 05 Feb 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

think you’re missing the point 

danieleaston 05 Feb 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

We did it in September 2018, over 5 days, and then 2 more days for the return through skye. We had an extra day that we lost at the start as the castlebay ferry was cancelled.

Weather wasnt great and we had a few days into the wind, even though we were heading north. Hostels in castlebay and Tarbert highly recommended, else we wildcamped. There was nobody around in callanish so we camped in the fields near to the standing stones. Camping near ferries is also good as you can use the toilets and catch the early ferry.

We got a feel for the hospitality of the islands, we were looking a bit wet an tired and a couple invited us into their home for soup, tea, wine, fruit etc. Such a nice experience.

We paid for a transfer from butt of lewis to tarbert to get the boat to skye, it was excellent but very expensive. Mainly welcome as we were soaked.

I took that summer off work and did loads of trips, but still rated this as an absolute highlight, but not without a fair bit of suffering!

Post edited at 13:25
 rif 05 Feb 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

Did a loop from Oban around 12 years ago. Day 1 ferry to Barra, 2-4 northwards to Harris with time to explore on the way, 5 a marvellous unladen circuit of south Harris, 6 back south to Lochmaddy then ferry to Uig in Skye and over the Quiraing to Portree, 7 across Skye to Armadale and Mallaig, 8 through Moidart to Ardnamurchan and across to Tobermory, 9 Mull and back to Oban. It took a bit of planning because we wanted to prebook overnights in b&bs/pubs and some of the ferries didn't operate every day, or not at the right times of day. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...